FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CrazyTommy20
Hi everybody,
So I got my Cape Sundew about a month and a half ago, and it's doing awesome! :D About a week and a half ago the flower stalk started to produce flowers. Of course, it's great that it's flowering, but the stalk is becoming a hassle. In order to keep the stalk healthy, I have to cover it with a cup to keep the humidity up, and the stalk is insanely tall. More than twice the height of the terrarium and still getting taller. Also, about 4 days ago I found out ANOTHER flower stalk is coming from the same plant. So much flower! :o Is it normal for Cape Sundews to produce two flower stalks at once, and is it okay to cut them off?
By KissMegan
Hey tommy! None of my capensis have ever put out 2 flower stalks at once so I'm not sure if that's normal haha. Are you sure it's not 2 different capensis really close to each other? Also yes it's fine to cut the stalks off. It won't hurt the plant. But letting them grow won't hurt it either and may give you more babies :)
Is the stalk withering if you don't give it a high humidity? I'd assume it would be fine without extra humidity :P your decision though. Personally I'd just leave it alone and if the stalk dies without enough humidity then you know, and if it lives hurray!
By katya_dog1
Nah, it is not normal, but it does happen. Sort of like false viv on a flytrap. Anyway, cut it off if you are worried the plant will die, but other than that keep it! It will give you a whole lot of seeds.

Same as KM said, I don't think that cape sundews need a lot of humidity. It will probably be fine.
By CrazyTommy20
Thanks for answering my questions!
I think the reason my Cape Sundew flowers don't do well when I take off the "humidity cup" is because winter is coming soon, so the ambient humidity is very low.
By David F
Okay guys, any sundew flowering many and multiple times, including complexly scaped inflorescence is all normal. Cape sundews often make gigantic flowers have one or more off shoots. Seriously Capensis can make scapes that produce thousands of seeds.
By katya_dog1
I stand corrected, then. I thought that it was abnormal for two flower stalks at once on one plant. My filiformis has gotten two stalks, but I thought that was just because it was really well fed.
By David F
I mean it depends on how you define normal. These plants will send up multiple flower stalks in some circumstances. Scroll down this page a little bit to see an extreme example.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showt ... ight=stalk
By roarke
David F wrote:I mean it depends on how you define normal. These plants will send up multiple flower stalks in some circumstances. Scroll down this page a little bit to see an extreme example.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showt ... ight=stalk
WHEN WILL IT STOP FLOWERING?!?
What is that ?!? What a freak ! :DImage
Last edited by roarke on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By David F
Well fed, well lit, well watered capensis broad leaf ;).

I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!