FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Leo756
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a time-lapse video of the big bloom I recently had on my Epiphyllum oxypetalum, a night-blooming "cactus". (It's technically an epiphyte that hangs in trees in the wild, like an orchid or a Nepenthes, not a true cactus. One of the most common names is 'Queen of the Night'.)

The large white flowers open after sunset and only last just one night. Their beautifully fragrant scent is somewhat reminiscent of gardenias. A friend gave me this plant about six years ago, but this is the first time it has ever bloomed. It took about three weeks from the time I first noticed the tiny bud until it swelled up and opened a couple nights ago. It was well worth the wait, and very nostalgic for me as well since my adopted "grandmother" always had one of these while I was growing up. It had been almost 30 years since I'd experienced these huge, impressive flowers!

I stayed up until 2:00 am taking pictures every half-hour from all different angles (about 150 photos in all) so I could put together this time-lapse video of the whole process. (The little icon between "HD" and "vimeo" at the bottom will expand it to a full-screen view to see the details better.) I knew it would be a one-shot deal since the flowers only last just one night. Well worth losing some sleep over to me!

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/102961750[/vimeo]
Leo756, Leo756, Leo756 and 1 others liked this
By mikepellerin
Absolutely beautiful!

I remember the first time I smelled one blooming. I was living in Arizona at the time, and a friend invited a small group of friends over to witness it. The smell was incredible, and it just filled the whole neighborhood with it's aroma.

Thank you for sharing.
mikepellerin liked this
By bananaman
I love Epiphyllum. Yours looks really good.

Just so you know, although they are epiphytes from the rainforest, they are actually true cacti, related to Hylocereus (Dragonfruit) and Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus). This group of cacti are all really fun to grow. They get awesome flowers.

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!