FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
However, I would like to say that HPS and MH lights are the only way to get large tomatoes to maturity. LEDs are fine for carnivorous plants and small tomatoes, peppers, etc but not large plants.
By bvalente
katya_dog1 wrote:However, I would like to say that HPS and MH lights are the only way to get large tomatoes to maturity. LEDs are fine for carnivorous plants and small tomatoes, peppers, etc but not large plants.
I would only be growing these with peppers or other small plants, nothing bigger like tomatoes. HPS and MH are too expensive to keep going at 600w+ and the heat the produce and having to keep them cool with more equipment adds up. Yes LEDs are more expensive initially but their efficiency pays for themselves. I wouldn't be buying a knock off LED because they're not worth the investment. I would be using these to grow peppers and other small veggies to cook with. Possibly if I have room I might throw some Drosera or Sarracenia under them, but the LEDs are mostly for gardening, whereas I have t5's for CP's during the winter and when the temps get warmer I move them outside.
By katya_dog1
Yeah, definitely. What I mainly meant was that LED technology, while advanced, is not yet advanced enough to grow LARGE plants to maturity.

But fine for everything else, and definitely you have a point about running costs for HID lights.
By bvalente
David F wrote:Dang nice man.

Is this the same thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-600W-LED-Gr ... 1303445913
From what I have researched, they are a little different. Even in comparison on their listing, a lot of companies buy other comapnies things and replace them with cheap LEDs so they can flip them for profit. It all comes down to their actual power draw and various types of LEDs on the board. I am no expert with LEDs by anymeans, I am just getting into them, but I am eager to see how these will grow my peppers and other gardening I can fit under them.

I also plan on putting my Drosera under them, since it is a 18hr photoperiod for the peppers they are loving the t5's already and producing flowers and dew like crazy. Do you think I would be able to put my Nepenthes cutting under it as well or should I keep it by the window sill (it is winter and doesn't get the best lighting this time of year). Also, what about Sarracenia?
By katya_dog1
Seriously?! That is like the deal of the century! Nice catch!
By bvalente
Thank you! It has a 4x4ft grow area so it is more than enough for my peppers, so I am interested in sticking some of my CP's under the LED as well but I need to figure out what CP's can go under it with an 18hour photoperiod.

I have my Drosera spatulata, D.tokaiensis, and D. capensis I know will all be fine. But I would like to stick my Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia 'Hammerhead' under them from being out in the snow :lol: And since its winter and the window sills do not get much direct sunlight, possibly my Nepenthes root cutting as well?
By Sander
Spectral distribution wise this is very similar to the DIY growled i build myself, both chlorophyll a and b peaks are covered at both red and blue side of the spectra :)

Keep us posted!
By bvalente
Thanks everyone! Come to find out it will be 84$ for the light and 67$ for shipping because it is all the way from their source in China. I did research on the light and this is a great light with good rep and either way, 150$ for a 600w LED is tough to beat. Now I am frustrated the guy told me free shipping when I asked him, but then on the listing it says there is a shipping charge :|
By katya_dog1
Ouch, that really stinks. Still a good price, but they ought to make it so that people Know what they are getting.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!