FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By David F
Thanks for he advice on propagation JW, your success rate is phenomenal, I'd love o see pictures.

I would say to Megan, wait until the plant is established (and a bit larger if you ordered the young size) until you start removing tissue from the plant.
By KissMegan
David F wrote:Thanks for he advice on propagation JW, your success rate is phenomenal, I'd love o see pictures.

I would say to Megan, wait until the plant is established (and a bit larger if you ordered the young size) until you start removing tissue from the plant.
Oh yeah David haha I don't plan on touching anything about the plant until next spring (as long as it looks like it's growing healthy) haha
By David F
Seriously though, 20/20. I haven' heard of success rates like that-- congrats JW.

Do you care if I post the photos of my FTS ceph I got last week on this thread? I can show its conditions, and whether it dies or not (and all that fun stuff).
By Cory
I do leaf pulls often here
They strike fairly easy if your patient lol.

Pitcher I have never had much luck with so I stick to leaves.
By jwbates26
David F wrote:Seriously though, 20/20. I haven' heard of success rates like that-- congrats JW.
Thanks you. I plan on making a Ceph all one of these days. I'm waiting for them to get some size to them.
Cory wrote:They strike fairly easy if your patient lol.
That is an understatement... Some are extremely slower then others. I had some that took months to produce a new plant
By KissMegan
jwbates26 wrote:
David F wrote:Seriously though, 20/20. I haven' heard of success rates like that-- congrats JW.
Thanks you. I plan on making a Ceph all one of these days. I'm waiting for them to get some size to them.
Cory wrote:They strike fairly easy if your patient lol.
That is an understatement... Some are extremely slower then others. I had some that took months to produce a new plant
Do you ever use rooting hormone on your cuttings or you just leave them plain?
By Cory
I just leave them plain and water just the same as I do with an established ceph.

I grow them in my terrarium so idk if the strike rate will be as high in a more open environment or not.
By jwbates26
KissMegan wrote:When you say you keep the leaf blade as close to the sphagnum as possible do you mean you just lay it down horizontally?
Ceph pulling1.jpg
Ceph pulling1.jpg (586.08 KiB) Viewed 4104 times
I pull the leaf just like I would a flytrap pulling trying to get a little white flesh from the rhizome. I use tweezers to place the petiole as deep as I can which usually leaves the bottom of the leaf laying on the sphagnum. I can't remember if I used rooting hormone or not. I'm thinking that I did. If I did it was just a common root hormone from Schultz Take root. I may have exaggerated a little on the numbers but its pretty close. It may be closer to 15 but I had a 100% success rate either way.

I didn't cover them just sat the pot in a tray and kept a little water in the bottom and left it in bright light. It does take some time so you have to be very patient but it is worth it. Usually after winter Cephs have a lot of non-carnivorous leaves which are great to use. That's when I took all my pullings. The beginning of this year.
By KissMegan
jwbates26 wrote:
KissMegan wrote:When you say you keep the leaf blade as close to the sphagnum as possible do you mean you just lay it down horizontally?
Ceph pulling1.jpg
I pull the leaf just like I would a flytrap pulling trying to get a little white flesh from the rhizome. I use tweezers to place the petiole as deep as I can which usually leaves the bottom of the leaf laying on the sphagnum. I can't remember if I used rooting hormone or not. I'm thinking that I did. If I did it was just a common root hormone from Schultz Take root. I may have exaggerated a little on the numbers but its pretty close. It may be closer to 15 but I had a 100% success rate either way.

I didn't cover them just sat the pot in a tray and kept a little water in the bottom and left it in bright light. It does take some time so you have to be very patient but it is worth it. Usually after winter Cephs have a lot of non-carnivorous leaves which are great to use. That's when I took all my pullings. The beginning of this year.
That's awesome. You should post some pictures when they start to get bigger!!!
By David F
Looks a lot like mine, I love the way they are even when they're this small.
Attachments:
resized.jpg
resized.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
By David F
Six days, but they were that color when I got them :).
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!