FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By kcbugs
MrsMuscipula wrote:Nice looking plants! I wish I had a whole spare bedroom that I could turn into a greenhouse. Maybe one day! :D
Thanks Mrs!! I was acquiring way too many orchids and Tillies. The wife happily agreed to allow me to do this. It's my happy place for sure!! Now, if I can only talk her into allowing me to build a real greenhouse in the back yard next spring... :-)
By kcbugs
Matt wrote:Great growing! I really love the baby flytraps and the Heliamphora. They look so healthy and happy :D
Thanks Matt! The Heli's are really doing great! I cracked open a window in the room, so now night time temps are around 55, and daytime around 75. This has been great for the Heli's and my 2 trouble Highland Neps. As you can see, the Heli now has 4 adult pitchers. It feels extremely good to see these guys doing so well. A year ago, I wouldn't have been able to keep crabgrass alive. Thanks so much for all the help! (you and everyone else here, too!). :-)

Those baby flytraps are really beautiful. Have a lot of different colors. Some yellows as well, although, I'm guessing that colors may deepen or change with age. It's really neat to see all the different characteristics, and all within a single species. I haven't yet mastered Maiden's technique of feeding, but I try to when I can. Those tiny traps aren't easy for me to feed. I really have to give him props for having the patience to feed so many tiny mouths!
By Matt
Yeah, Heliamphora are quite easy to grow during the winter months here as well. Summer is always challenging, but if you keep them indoors in a controlled environment, they usually fare pretty well.
kcbugs wrote:Those baby flytraps are really beautiful. Have a lot of different colors. Some yellows as well, although, I'm guessing that colors may deepen or change with age.
Yes, characteristics on flytraps do change to some degree as they age. But you can usually pick out ones that could be interesting or different pretty early on.
kcbugs wrote:I haven't yet mastered Maiden's technique of feeding, but I try to when I can. Those tiny traps aren't easy for me to feed. I really have to give him props for having the patience to feed so many tiny mouths!
I completely agree! It's a lot of work and effort to feed those babies, but based on Maiden's success, it will pay off fairly quickly with large plants. I've still not tried the experiment myself.
By katya_dog1
Oh wow beautiful! Seedlings look great. :D And I second the feeding thing. With so many I am just going to wait for them to get a tad larger.
katya_dog1 liked this
By kcbugs
Yes katya, with 2 trays of lots of little babies, I just can't find that kind of time, but they look really good!

Thanks chevyguy! I just recently caught the Tillandsia bug. I have them everywhere in my green room. In pots with orchids, neps and any corner with some light that I can find. I really love my xerographicas and my funckianas. You can see the one funckiana that has just recently bloomed resting on top of the xerographica in photo #4. Was a great surprise to see that beautiful red flower slowly slipping out of the crown of the plant. They are really neat!
By katya_dog1
How many packs of seeds did you put in those two trays?
By kcbugs
katya_dog1 wrote:How many packs of seeds did you put in those two trays?
I believe I had a total of 290 seeds. It's funny, I planted them back in July and I still see new sprouts from time to time.
By chevyguy8893
kcbugs wrote:Thanks chevyguy! I just recently caught the Tillandsia bug. I have them everywhere in my green room. In pots with orchids, neps and any corner with some light that I can find. I really love my xerographicas and my funckianas. You can see the one funckiana that has just recently bloomed resting on top of the xerographica in photo #4. Was a great surprise to see that beautiful red flower slowly slipping out of the crown of the plant. They are really neat!
That is one bug that would be good to catch :D. I had to look up the funckiana, that one has a nice looking flower! How long have you been growing them? Maybe one day I will have a larger collection of them like that, but for now I am happy with my small T. ionantha.
By kcbugs
chevyguy8893 wrote:
kcbugs wrote:Thanks chevyguy! I just recently caught the Tillandsia bug. I have them everywhere in my green room. In pots with orchids, neps and any corner with some light that I can find. I really love my xerographicas and my funckianas. You can see the one funckiana that has just recently bloomed resting on top of the xerographica in photo #4. Was a great surprise to see that beautiful red flower slowly slipping out of the crown of the plant. They are really neat!
That is one bug that would be good to catch :D. I had to look up the funckiana, that one has a nice looking flower! How long have you been growing them? Maybe one day I will have a larger collection of them like that, but for now I am happy with my small T. ionantha.
It's an awesome bug!!! I never realized how many species there are. Check out http://www.airplantshop.com, they have a boatload, and are priced really well. Just go straight to the Super Specials and Wholesale pages. No, you don't have to have a business to buy from the wholesale page, just minimum numbers of plants. I have a bunch of ionanthas as well. I have T. bulbosa, baileyi, butzii, abdita, capitata, caput-medusae, funckiana, xerographica, harrisii and some others I know I have, but can't think of at the moment.

Tip: T. xerographica on the Super Specials page are less expensive than the xerographicas on the Wholesale page.

Edit to add, I've been growing them for 3 or 4 months now. Saw a xerographica at a local nursery and fell in love with it.
kcbugs liked this
By chevyguy8893
kcbugs wrote: It's an awesome bug!!! I never realized how many species there are. Check out http://www.airplantshop.com, they have a boatload, and are priced really well. Just go straight to the Super Specials and Wholesale pages. No, you don't have to have a business to buy from the wholesale page, just minimum numbers of plants. I have a bunch of ionanthas as well. I have T. bulbosa, baileyi, butzii, abdita, capitata, caput-medusae, funckiana, xerographica, harrisii and some others I know I have, but can't think of at the moment.

Tip: T. xerographica on the Super Specials page are less expensive than the xerographicas on the Wholesale page.

Edit to add, I've been growing them for 3 or 4 months now. Saw a xerographica at a local nursery and fell in love with it.
Thanks for the link! Between that website and rainforest flora I could get into a lot of trouble, but get some nice plants :D. They have some good deals on their page. Oh wow, that is an impressive list! T. abdita is one that I have been wanting for a while. For now I will live vicariously through you when you post photos of them :).
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!