FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
FSThunderboltfan1000 wrote:I recived my plants yesterday and I think that this is the deal of the year. Great plants at great prices.
Goes without saying! These are the cheapest I have ever seen sarracenia of this quality in my life! I really need to post pictures of my plants, but the moorei is not looking too good, just a few brown pitchers. Seedlings are good too. What is a S. Marshal? The rhizome you got?
katya_dog1 liked this
By SFLguy
Nobody bought the S. Excellens yet?! I think that looks the best out of all of them haha
SFLguy liked this
By katya_dog1
I thought about it, but I would rather get a lot of rhizomes or something than one big plant.
katya_dog1 liked this
By David F
Before I knew it I'm buying multiple plants lol.

Is it just me or do Sarracenia have underwhelming roots compared to most other carnivorous plant taxa?
David F liked this
By Dionae
Just looking at these rhizomes makes me think sarrs make new roots every year. The older roots are brown and new roots white. I have noticed the roots on sarrs not being as extensive as other plants. Some I had in 1 gal pots had roots that only made it halfway down the media but others, like my flavas and purps, can get crazy root systems.
By katya_dog1
Well, I can't say anything about that. In terms of my VFTs, they do not get huge root systems. They don't need to. They have plenty of water and food, so they do not require large roots.
By David F
Whenever I unpott plants, the first thing I notice is their over-the-top root size. Especially Drosera.

My plants (even the young ones) usually travel to the very bottom of 8 inch pots... that's been my experience with every species of Drosera, and every VFT. It's like when you repot them, they go ohhhh let's see how far this pot goes.
I think I agree with Dionae... a plant that large should really have more roots, and with sarrs you often see the black roots next to the white pulpy/wood ones. I'm not sure why they would sacrifice their roots, perhaps in their respective habitats roots would rot when they weren't being actively used by the plant?
By katya_dog1
Hey, in Peter D'Amatos book, The Savage Garden it shows a picture of a couple of large Flavas growing in a wide, shallow salad bowl. Maybe it does not matter, but it would be nice to experiment.
katya_dog1 liked this
By David F
Do tell us more about these seeds.
By katya_dog1
Use Private Message. It is the PM button underneath his avatar. Buy with confidence, he packages great and is easy to work with!
katya_dog1 liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!