FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
So, this is kinda weird, but I'm trying to find some land snails (I keep them as pets). The species are spread out quite a bit over the USA, so It's hard for me to just collect some outside. I figured plant growers hate snails, lol, so instead of killing them maybe we can work out a deal.

I know that there are a few large varieties in the Pacific Northwest, and others on the east coast, and some in the northern midwest, some in florida as well.
Specifically I'm trying to find: Any type of land snail from florida, Monadenia fidelis (The Pacific Sideband snail), Cepeae nemoralis (grove snail), Cepeae hortensis (white lipped snail), and Helix pomatia. I'm open to anything other type as well.

If anyone has any info about large US land snails please let me know!
By Drone232
I don't have any snails to give you at the moment, but I would like to know how you came up upon such an interesting hobby as snail collecting.
By Mufasa
some people grow plants, some people grow snails
By SundewWolf
Thanks for the replies!

I was keeping land snails before I got into plants. I remember in elementary school, about 13 years ago, I had some big ones (A bit bigger than golf balls). I think someone brought them for me from another country.
I just wish I had the means to take a cross country road trip so I could go around and find new species! I figured this is the next best thing lol. I thought about making this post after I came across another gardening forum where someone asked them for snails, and everyone was like "Huh? People want to buy land snails??" lol. I know there's plenty of them, it's just hard to find a seller. Someone on ebay got the idea, but all they had were H. aspersas, which I already have.
SundewWolf liked this
By SFLguy
Well we have euglandina rosea in Florida, those are always interesting :)
SFLguy liked this
By David F
There's some tiny ones here with hard shells and blue flesh :)
By Dionae
Now that is an interesting hobby SW. I have lots of snails here but theyre tiny. I'm not sure theyd interest you. Might be next spring, idk what kind of weather they like, but I'll get you some pics asap...if I run across any. Just lil brown snails about the size of a finger nail.
By SundewWolf
David F wrote:There's some tiny ones here with hard shells and blue flesh :)
I've never heard of blue land snails before! I'd like to see that!
Dionae wrote:Now that is an interesting hobby SW. I have lots of snails here but theyre tiny. I'm not sure theyd interest you. Might be next spring, idk what kind of weather they like, but I'll get you some pics asap...if I run across any. Just lil brown snails about the size of a finger nail.
Yeah, there's thousands of species lol, and I'm not familiar with each one. There might be some cool ones I don't even know about.
By cvlover
I bet you like escargot, especially Escargots à la Bourguignonne. right? LOL. :)
By David F
SundewWolf wrote:
David F wrote:There's some tiny ones here with hard shells and blue flesh :)
I've never heard of blue land snails before! I'd like to see that!
Dionae wrote:Now that is an interesting hobby SW. I have lots of snails here but theyre tiny. I'm not sure theyd interest you. Might be next spring, idk what kind of weather they like, but I'll get you some pics asap...if I run across any. Just lil brown snails about the size of a finger nail.
Yeah, there's thousands of species lol, and I'm not familiar with each one. There might be some cool ones I don't even know about.
Next time I'm sifting around in the dirt, I'll grab one for you and post pics here, hope it's not too late being winter and all! I'd say they're worth a sundew seed a dozen lol!
By SundewWolf
cvlover wrote:I bet you like escargot, especially Escargots à la Bourguignonne. right? LOL. :)
I have no idea why someone would want put one in their mouth lol.
David F wrote:
Next time I'm sifting around in the dirt, I'll grab one for you and post pics here, hope it's not too late being winter and all! I'd say they're worth a sundew seed a dozen lol!
Thanks! Yeah I made this thread a little late in the season. Hopefully you guys will keep me in mind next spring! I think halfway through november is sort of the cut-off point for mailing snails lol. They all start hibernating anyways, making them more difficult to find. And yeah I would trade plants. I don't really have anything at the moment, but next spring I should have some sundews and a couple other things.
By bestfarmers
Buy Live Snails( Helix Pomatia,Helix Aspersa,Helix Lucorum,Giant African Land Snails)

Our edible species sold and used in catering are as listed below

- Helix aspersa Maxima,
- Helix aspers aspersa Müller,
- Helix Pomatia.
- Achatina Achatina
- from parent snails - breeding stock,
- from juveniles - small 10-day-old hatchlings,

We also offer free snail breeding tips and supply world wide. Contact us for our supplier procedures. Email: bestfarmers@gmail.com
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!