FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By KissMegan
Hey everyone,
I just got this heli this week and it's been quickly detonating. Despite the great packaging and huge sign that says the package is fragile, USPS never fails to handle packages with as little care as possible.
Unfortunately several pitchers were snapped off when I received it but it was still looking okay. The last two pictures are from the day I got it after potting. Now it's looking extremely withered. Humidity has been around 65-70 so maybe that's a little too low? I have them covered in a plastic baggy to raise the humidity but I'm not sure what else to do. The first two pictures are what they look like currently
Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1414884880730.png
uploadfromtaptalk1414884880730.png (667.74 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
uploadfromtaptalk1414884871407.png
uploadfromtaptalk1414884871407.png (621.16 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
uploadfromtaptalk1414884784364.png
uploadfromtaptalk1414884784364.png (638.45 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
uploadfromtaptalk1414884774304.png
uploadfromtaptalk1414884774304.png (577.42 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
By Cory
It's to dry. It's desiccating.
Humidity needs to be raised substantially. ASAP
Mist it and bag it off completely sealed after Filling the pitchers with water.

There is always root damage when transplanting. Put it in a water tray for awhile it needs wet media

Find out what it's previous conditions were if you can

Humidity needs to stay at 100% 24/7 until it starts growing again and then acclimated very very slowly back down
By Sander
Cory is spot on :)

Please keep us posted on its progress :)
By KissMegan
Hey guys. I'm amazed at how quickly it's recovering. I did exactly what Cory said last night and just checked on it through the bag and it's already coming back to life. I'm going to keep the bag on for a week or so longer. Any tips on how to integrate it to lower humidity?
By Cory
Leave it in the bag for a few weeks.... Slow down lol.

It needs to re establish it's roots before you should do anything or it will quickly be right back where you started.

Acclimating it down is easily done with just snipping small portions of the bag away until it's like Swiss cheese.

You can't do this to slow but most try to fast. Give it 10-15 days before you start snipping away. A week between snips is a good idea as well.

Helis grow in slow motion so anything done to them should reflect that..

Glad to hear it's doing well it should be fine now all you need is time.
By Sander
It might help to tell us which species it is as well, since some wont tolerate 65% humidity.

For acclimatizing, i cant help since i always put them in my terrarium right away (80-100% RH), but if i had to wait, i'd wait untill a new pitcher has fully developed and then lower humidity over 1 month period.
By KissMegan
Okay I'll leave it be and let it recover. It's just a H. Minor pretty small little guy. I'll do what Cory said and wait a few weeks before snipping off a bit of the bag.
This is my first heli so thanks everyone for all the help and tips
By Matt
To me that doesn't look like a humidity issue. I've seen that before with my Heliamphora and it's normally a sign of complete collapse. I've never successfully saved a plant when it starts looking like that. I've saved parts of the plant, but normally you'll lose the crown that starts to die and causes all of the pitchers to wither.

In my experience, this is due to poor soil aeration. What kind of soil is the Heliamphora potted in? It looks like it's peat. I've have lost a lot of Heliamphora in peat that wasn't airy enough. Since switching to long-fiber sphagnum, I've not lost any.
By Sander
Matt wrote:To me that doesn't look like a humidity issue. I've seen that before with my Heliamphora and it's normally a sign of complete collapse. I've never successfully saved a plant when it starts looking like that. I've saved parts of the plant, but normally you'll lose the crown that starts to die and causes all of the pitchers to wither.

In my experience, this is due to poor soil aeration. What kind of soil is the Heliamphora potted in? It looks like it's peat. I've have lost a lot of Heliamphora in peat that wasn't airy enough. Since switching to long-fiber sphagnum, I've not lost any.
u mean SDS?
I have to agree, this was the first thing that came to mind, but i have never had it so soon after shipping (only after prolonged periods of lower light and colder temperatures)
By Cory
SDS

I highly doubt it
It's desicated. If it wasn't it would not have perked up As she said it has.

Being planted in peat is the least of her worries this second. It needed to be rehydrated. I have seen this many times with aw plants.
Especially after being repotted.

Once it starts growing or recovering a bit it can be transplanted into proper media and it will be fine

No heli is going to tolerate transplanting and low humidity unless acclimated to it prior
By KissMegan
Hey Matt. I did put it in peat but it's only been in there since Wednesday. Do you think I should do a peat sand perlite mix? I could do that tomorrow if you think it'll help.
By KissMegan
Sorry just read Cory 's last post. Yeah it does look a lot better today so I'll leave it potted then and see how it fairs in the coming weeks. I don't know if I mentioned I received it a day late and it wasn't in the greatest condition when I got it because the postal service doesn't have great service so it may be a little shocked from that as well.
By Matt
Cory wrote:It's desicated. If it wasn't it would not have perked up As she said it has.
I missed that the first time I read the thread. If it is recovering after elevating the humidity, then it is likely only a case of repotting shock. Do you have an updated photo Megan?

Just looking at the most recent photos you posted, it sure does look like a classic case of SDS that I've seen several times with lots of my Heliamphora when I used to pot most of them in peat.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!