FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lee
Hey I just got some in the post and now just waiting for my soil to arrive, can anyone offer me information on these seeds:

1. Germination time

2. Sunlight or not

3. Humidity and temperature

4. Should I feed them asap

Thank you

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
By Leathal_Traps
I germinated burmannii seeds about 2 months ago and they are doing great. This is my personal experience, so don't think that this is the only way to do it.

1. Germination time: For me it took 13 days, but this may vary on the seeds, and whether they are fresh or not. When they germinate, they will be smaller than a capensis tentacle, and as this as a drosera spatulata one, so when looking to see if they are there, you must be very attentive.

2. Sunlight: On my windowsill, they got 5 hours of direct sunlight and about 12 of indirect. Not much is needed for them.

3. Humidity: I didn't do anything special, simply planted the seed in a planted them in a pot. Some humidity might help germination, but nothing special.

4. Feeding is crucial with this species. When I germinated them I overfed 2 of them and they died, although drosera burmannii can handle large amounts of food without rotting, compared to other sundews. What I did was wait about 2 weeks for them to grow larger leaves, then start feeding. At that point is when they will explode with grow, ab out 1.5 months after germination. If you don't feed them they will shrink and die.

P.S. Drosera Burmannii's are annuals, meaning that they live for one season, set seed and then die. In cultivation, if you treat it like a tropical sundew it can live for many years. To make it live longer, feed it a lot before flowering ( as they usually die after flowering) or cut off the flower stalks.

Hope I helped and good luck with growing them!
By Sander
Lee wrote:Hey I just got some in the post and now just waiting for my soil to arrive, can anyone offer me information on these seeds:

1. Germination time

2. Sunlight or not

3. Humidity and temperature

4. Should I feed them asap

Thank you
1; 2012 seeds took 3-5 weeks, 2013 seeds took ~2-3 weeks
2; Yes, mine receive indirect sunlight all day and direct for about 2 hours max
3; i had mine in a open top aquarium where humidity was between 18 and ~35 degrees C (35 degrees only for short period when we had the heat wave.
4; im gonna try and feed mine tomorrow and see how it works out, im expecting some of the seedlings to die anyway so :p
By fattytuna
1. germination time - 2-3 weeks for fresh harvest
2. Sunlight or not - Mine germinated fine in full sun (i guess its not critical, as long its warm).
3. Humidity and temperature - whatever the windowsill was (i'm guessing around 30%, 20C)
4. Feeding ASAP - The plentiful amount of springtails in my pots naturally fed them. I think that they will benefit largely from feeding as soon as they grow 2-3 dewey leaves. I use a speck of betta pellet dust delivered with a needle with my other species and it seems to work well. (i always leave at least one leaf unfed, as not to overfeed)
By pretty
Lee wrote:They've finally germinated

Congrats Lee :]

Like stated above, feeding is crucial to your babies. Once they have their 3rd hungry hand (hehe) reaching out of the soil, use a crushed betta pellet and feed them with food the same size or smaller then the drops of dew. Tweezers, toothpicks, and magnifying glass will all be your friend for this task. Using such a small amount will help the plants absorb it quickly to avoid mold and burnt leaves. Check on them regularly, if mold develops you'll want to remove it asap.

Keep the light cranked up and they will love you- If you want them to live longer feed them often and cut any flower stalks that sprout up. Feeding is key- my burmannii have gotten VERY large.
pretty liked this
By pretty
You can, if you can use small enough food particles. Just watch VERY closely for mold, if the food isn't absorbed fast enough and even THINKS about molding they will be in danger. The smallest amount of mold will kill them if they only have their first true leaf out.

Do you have them covered, like very high humidity?
By balaji hustler
Hi guys I just found that I can find this plant in abundance in the hill station near by my city , the place is called kodaikanal developed by Americans in 17th century , if I knew this earlier I never would have purchased all those fake seeds from ebay :D !
By Sander
balaji hustler wrote:Hi guys I just found that I can find this plant in abundance in the hill station near by my city , the place is called kodaikanal developed by Americans in 17th century , if I knew this earlier I never would have purchased all those fake seeds from ebay :D !
Please check your local regulations regarding collecting seeds, a lot of countries consider it poaching.
By Dematerialize
It's nicer to grow them yourself in my opinion. You taking any without permission would be considered illegal in most places.
By tish
Back to the topic.

My first Burmannii were seeds from a nice guy in this forum. They germinate fairly easily. No special requirement. they don't really catch food themself here and i feed when i find a spider, fly or anything.

Before i repot which cause it to die.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!