FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live outside the US, UK or EU

Moderator: Matt

By balaji hustler
hey guys ive been intrested to grow cps for da past 2 yrs and I went to botanical garden in ooty, , kodaikanal , chennai looking for them but all I heard was "waaat ? Plant dat feeds on insects ? Dats weird " anyway after a disappointing yr of searching the seeds I ended up in ebay shopping for vft seeds and its been more than 2 weeks and still no sign of germination ! Hence ive ordered again from Amazon , I dont want to spend any more on this because it looks like im wasting all ma money on dead seeds ! So if u guys have cps and been growing it for a while plz send me few of the the precious seeds so that even id hav fun growing these lil monsters :) magnatron9090@hotmail.com ....
By balaji hustler
Wel I used the gardening soil , I know I shouldn't but the reason I used it is because we never added any form of fertilizers to it wat so ever ! The only fertilizers we add is vermiculture and dead plant leaves soaked in water for about a week , all organic , and I keep the pot in a indirect sunlight and covering it with a clear plastic bag with few holes on top ,
By SFLguy
The vermiculite and leaves will add too much nutrients and will eventually kill the plants unfortunately, however the should be able to germinate. I suggest that one you see green that you move them over asap
By Matt
balaji hustler wrote:Wel I used the gardening soil , I know I shouldn't but the reason I used it is because we never added any form of fertilizers to it wat so ever
Doesn't matter. Most soil will still contain a lot of minerals that will quickly kill flytraps, especially seeds as they germinate.
By balaji hustler
Hmm I underatand but I couldn't find sphagnum peat moss or perlite in my locality , is it alright if I use coconut coir bars instead ? The coir that is available here is mixed wit neem , to prevent fungal growth etc
By MrsMuscipula
balaji hustler wrote:Outta 39 just 1 germinated so far ! Is it because of the growing medium or the remaining seeds r probably old ?!
It could be both.

Also, please keep your questions in one topic instead of posting the same question in several old threads. It's must easier to help you and answer your questions if you create your own thread. :)
By tish
Everyone can see all the threads. Don't worry. Your questions will be seen and should be answered by anyone who has free time to read the forum and wants to answer :)

You can try other source of materials that has no minerals in them like rice husk. Beans husk. Wood plups. Saw dust. I cannot guarantee no minerials. But you get the idea. Anything that can hold seeds n plants and has no minerials, chemicals, fertilisers can be test on. It has to be loose so ita airy, not entangled, can hold water, and roots can anchor. It sounds crazy bur it's worth a shot.

Ultimately. Proper soil mix is the best.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!