FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By KissMegan
Hey guys, never had scale on any of my plants before, my guess is they were on my darlingtonia since I ordered them and are just having an outbreak now. Any tips on combatting them?
I did a quick misting of bayer insecticide (pretty mild), might try neem oil tomorrow or orthene.
Will waterlogging darlingtonia be harmful to the plant? Its pretty damaged as is but still new growth coming out.
I tried scraping the scale off and they wouldnt come off until I sprayed them with the insecticide a bit.
Anything helps, thanks!
By Daniel_G
Scale can be quite hard to tackle due to the waxy layer on their shell, which can render some insecticides pretty useless.
A systemic insecticide (One that is absorbed by the plant) will work as the scale will take this in whilst feeding on the plant.
Daniel_G liked this
By Matt
Daniel_G wrote:A systemic insecticide (One that is absorbed by the plant) will work as the scale will take this in whilst feeding on the plant.
Yep. We use Acephate 75 and it makes quick work of scale, killing it in a day or two.
Matt liked this
By KissMegan
Thanks guys, the bayer insecticide I used is supposed to be systemic and once I sprayed them I was able to scrape a bunch off.
Going to look into Acephate and see if I can order it to California! I'll let you know how it goes :)
By Matt
nawaz wrote:Hey guys, never had scale on any of my plants before, my guess is they were on my darlingtonia since I ordered them and are just having an outbreak now. Any tips on combatting them? :D
See my reply in this thread two posts up.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!