FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Azurei
Well......I say first plants, first plants after the poor little sucker I killed back in 2003, that poor fly trap did not see me coming, but I am better armed this time to keep them alive :D still waiting on some rain mind you, it's a terribly overcast day so no sun for my poor plants, and yet no rain, hoping for one or the other :shock:

Some other members already commented that the fly trap looks to be in good shape, my partner couldn't resist feeding it a spider and the trap shut very quick which I take as a good sign, I had it in my head that it wouldn't function at all but if it will feast now hopefully it will be a good boost for next spring. I also had one sent to a friend of mine and hers looks absolutely fantastic, so many traps on it, so overall I'm pleased with the company, although I also ordered an aloe from them and it's very top heavy and in the tiniest pot I ever did see, it barely stands up so will need re-potting, but given they are mail order I didn't expect a huge pot :lol: I got the fly trap from gardens4you, and the D.Capensis from Nigel Hewitt Cooper, a grower here in the UK, also waiting on an Aliciae from him also, I spoke to him on the phone due to a postage mix up (my bad) and he seems like a very nice guy and was very accomodating, looking forward to my Aliciae :D I have also been looking on littleshopofhorrors.co.uk and mulling over another purchase, but we shall see :D they also sell the medium I need and have a flat rate postage so it won't be as expensive as I thought to re-pot :D

The Capensis doesn't look fantastic but has lots of new growth and so many cute little seedlings! Am I the only one who thinks these baby plants are cute? :lol:

Very much hoping to keep these alive, and with any luck thriving, I have it in my head to one day have a cephalotus follicularis, which I also think are cute :lol: but will see how I go with these first, I need to at least get through a good year with them :shock:

One thing I am wondering, when a sundew loses it's dew, as mine has for the most part during transit, do those leaves ever make more? or will it be the new growth with dew?

Edit: another question popped into my mind haha, what time of year would be best to re-pot my venus? the pot is too small, but in a couple of months it will be going into dormancy, so not sure if it's a good time or not.

And finally, my friends new venus, it's a bit all over the place, this photo was before she straightened out the traps and so on, but lots of nice growth on it, looks better than mine lol, but very pleased for her :D

Azurei liked this
By Matt
Azurei wrote:another question popped into my mind haha, what time of year would be best to re-pot my venus?
They can be repotted at any time. It's usually best to do so in very early spring, just before they break dormancy, sometime in February or early March. But in your case, with such a large and healthy plant in a small pot, I'd probably go ahead and repot it right now if it were my plant.
By Azurei
Thank you Matt, it is a particularly small pot! The gentleman I ordered the drosera from has also offered potting media if I need it so I have another source available and will order now, I'm out tomorrow on a plant/water supply hunt so will be picking up a pot and hopefully some nice african violets and whatever else I can find, I may get lucky and find some carnivorous plants or orchids :D

The venus seems to have a little more red in the traps tonight, maybe it's just my imagination or the false lighting but it looks good :D it is still on the windowsill with the window wide open all day, which is fine while the weather is nice and mild, once I have my plants potted right I will be moving them outside until the first frosts, really would like to see more red on the fly trap, they look quite striking with the constrasting colours.

Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!