FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By bannister
Let me explain:
Let's say I buy one or two really expensive/sought after plants. You take several months to grow them and they eventually divide. At this point you can sell/trade the divisions for even more plants! You own a plant you really want; you will be able to trade for other expensive/rare plants; you can even sell on eBay and make your money back!

This is a lot better than having multiple "regular" plants to trade. With a sought-after plant, you can basically trade for almost anything.

I highly recommend doing it if you can afford it.
Last edited by bannister on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sander
Only downside is, often the expensive plants are rare in cultivation, for a reason.

If you are quite sure that you can keep the expensive plant alive, its a great investment, if not you might loose all that money invested.
By Cory
You may also want to take growing speed into account
The rarer plants typically grow much slower and that's part of the reason they are more rare to begin with along with being a rough plant to grow.

The less expensive more common varieties usually grow much much faster take to TC better and are not as fussy about dividing and germinate easier if it's from seed. propagation seems easy reading directions from other growers on the internet but doing it is another story. Some plants are easier than others.
The more rare variety require a much higher level of experience to grow and prophagate. Some species will seem impossible or take a couple years or longer to get big enough for a safe dividing.

If you want to grow rarer plants grow them because you want to not because of money or future planned endeavors. That way if you get some good divisions it's a bonus.
I wouldn't suggest it to just be profitable in the long run.
By SundewWolf
I agree. Some species will be harder to grow, so you will probably have to buy additional equipment like lighting, a terrarium, fogger/humidifier, or anything else it needs. And like they said most are slow/difficult to propagate.

However, I believe more expensive flytraps grow just the same as cheap ones, so maybe if your talking strictly about VFTs your idea could be true. Every vft on my growlist grows and divides pretty much at the same rate/level of easiness.
By bannister
I should add that I agree with some of the above statements. You should do it because you want the plant, not for investment purposes. It's a plus if you can sell divisions to cover the cost of the initial purchase. And it's great if you have a green thumb to grow divisions successfully.
By xr280xr
I like to take a couple pullings off them right away and then again after they get acclimated to quickly minimize the risk of losing my only [expensive cultivar].
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!