FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dematerialize
Hello.

On July 30 I got a cutting from a Nephentes Alata(thanks again cbennett!). Until today it had a small leaf that wasn't showing any progress(as expected since it had no root). The leaf would mostly change its shape when it was outside due to the angle it'd receive sunlight but the size pretty much remained the same.

One of the first pictures I took on July 30th or the 31st:

Mid-week:
(It looks very wet because I had just brought it in for a minute to mist it a bit since it had been pretty hot outside)

Today in the afternoon I noticed it had opened up a bit.

Does this mean it's developed roots(even if they're tiny) or is this just the plant randomly growing on its energy reserves? I remember reading somewhere that they can grow a bit even if they don't have any root development but I can't find the website that mentioned this and it seems it waited until today to finally show any growth/development. Thanks in advance.

-Alex
By Ambanja
It means that it's growing well, don't worry so much. Most likely it has roots, but can't say w 100% certainty unless you check. They can develop without roots, but mostly this is when they are in water.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!