FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Sarah
Hi all! I am a brand new Venus fly trap owner. I've always wanted to grow them and finally ordered two lovely plants from this site. I have a seed-grown VFT (I'm not sure what kind?) and a FIne Tooth x Red.

I read my care sheet several times and I think my only question right now is: how hot is too hot for these plants? I live in Las Vegas, so it's obviously very hot and very dry -- this week is supposed to reach 111 degrees. In following the advice to ease my plants into full sun, I've been only putting them outside in morning sun for a couple hours (about 80 degrees). My plan is to eventually transition them outside full-time onto a patio table. That table receives morning and late afternoon sun, but will be in shade during the hottest part of the day. Does that sound okay?

I'm very excited to have these little guys!
10383893_10152259975437339_4631965432066039292_n.jpg
10383893_10152259975437339_4631965432066039292_n.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
By cyph3r_gfy
Hi and welcome, Sarah!

Seed grown, regardless of mother cultivar, are normally referred to as typical.

Also, you can put up a shade cloth to help keep out the heat. I'd be most concerned with how quickly the media will dry out. I'm sure some others can give you tips for successful growing in desert regions. It only gets up to high 90s here with the occasional push into the 100s, except with ~80% humidty. Mine appear to do fine in those conditions, provided I keep an eye on the media.
By Matt
Welcome to the FlytrapCare forums! It looks like the plants made it to you in very good shape and that you're treating them well in their new home :)

cyph3r_gfy answers and suggestions are spot on. A "seed-grown" plant from the FlytrapStore is a flytrap without a name but that looks different than a "typical" flytrap. Yours has short teeth, similar to Jaws or Dentate Traps, but is just a plant that I started from seed and never named.

And yes, it's very hot in Las Vegas so I too would suggest using a shade cloth when transitioning plants to outside. They'll really enjoy the sunny, mild winter there, but they will struggle in the heat of summer. Be very careful to ensure that the media (soil) does not dry out and keep them in shade during the hottest parts of the day and they should do well for you. It's been extremely hot here in Oregon as well, with quite a few days over 100°F. We try to keep the plants in greenhouses or under shade cloth outdoors when it gets above 90.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!