FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jds197
So while perusing ebay for CPs last night, I found a flytrap being marketed as a DCXL. The plant itself looks rather small, and I'm too inexperienced to recognize any other traits of that specific cultivar than it's large size. The seller has several other flytraps for sale, and the Maroon Monster, Cupped Trap, Dentate, and Pink Venus seem to be legitimate. The B52s look decent too, but once again, I don't know enough about that cultivar to distinguish it from just another large typical. The seller, fingers001, has a 100% rating, but other than that I haven't heard of anyone buying from them here on the forums. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
By kcbugs
First, the plant could just be a young plant.

Second, I have 2 DCXL's, and if I removed all the tags from my plants and asked someone to point them out, I doubt they'd be able to. My experience with DCXL is that it isn't particularly large. I purchased a young plant and a mature plant, both from very reputable online dealers, and while they are vigorous in growth, and their coloring is quite lovely in the early spring, I just haven't seen the large traps I was hoping for. My Jaws, and King Henry's, and Grun have quite large traps for their size, much larger than my DCXL's.

Maybe they will grow larger in time, but for now, I don't see much difference between them and virtually any typical that I have, size wise. I think growing conditions create the plant, more than the name of the cultivar. Just my opinion though.
kcbugs, kcbugs liked this
By kcbugs
Here are some photos for reference. Notice in the third photo, DCXL. He's Very low to the ground, but lots of traps. This plant is about the same size today, height and trap wise, as it was when I purchased it in April or May. Jaws is in the 4th photo. He has nearly quadrupled in size since I purchased him around the same time frame.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/a-gre ... 24062.html

My guess is, there are certain traits in certain cultivars that appreciate, perhaps, a particular aspect of it's conditions with the original grower, that may not show up in the conditions of another grower.

I still love my plants, and appreciate their uniqueness, such as their coloring or their vigor. I bet there are 20 other folks on this board that can show you the opposite in their experience.
Last edited by kcbugs on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcbugs, kcbugs liked this
By Matt
kcbugs wrote:I think growing conditions create the plant, more than the name of the cultivar.
This is true for all giant flytraps. Year to year, there are some which always impress, but none of them always produce large traps regardless of care conditions. DC XL has still produced the largest traps of any flytrap I've ever seen in person, but I think that some other giant flytraps produce larger traps (on average) throughout the growing season.

DC XL is one of the best plants we grow here in Oregon. It's consistently hardy and a very attractive flytrap. It always grabs my attention in a lineup of flytraps.
Matt, Matt, Matt liked this
By Jds197
Thanks for the input. Here's some pictures of the plant itself. Like I said, it doesn't look very special (actually looks kind of sickly). But at the moment the bid is pretty cheep, so I might just go ahead and take a chance on it.
Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 2.55.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 2.55.49 PM.png (644.37 KiB) Viewed 7695 times
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 2.53.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 2.53.55 PM.png (651.3 KiB) Viewed 7695 times
By DTDream18
Not to disparage Fingers001 in any way. But I had similar concerns before ordering from him in the past. I was kind of skeptical from the way he always words his plant descriptions. All his auctions describe his plants in a similar fashion. In this case "I have a very nice Venus Flytrap called a DCXL"

I emailed him regarding some B52's he was selling on Ebay about a year ago, asking him if the plants were divisions from actual B52's and he told me they were grown from the seeds of B52's. Then I wrote him back explaining that his plants were not actual B52's .... And he took down the auction.

If I were you JDS197 I would ask him some similar questions before bidding on his VFT's.
DTDream18, DTDream18 liked this
By Jds197
Ah okay, I was wondering if that or something similar was the case. I'll shoot him a message, thanks.
By Kevonicus
Your taking a little bit of risk buying named cultivars from people without some reputation. I would think people would be knowledgeable enough to only name a cultivar from a clone (division, leaf pulling, TC) to preserve the name and not just because its a seed from a DC XL. Regardless, a nice VFT no matter what its called is still awesome! Id say get it if its cheap and see if it turns out to be the largest in your collection :).
Kevonicus, Kevonicus liked this
By Jds197
DTDream18, you were right, they're seed grown. Oh well, some of his "B52s" look pretty nice even if they technically aren't the real deal. Might pick one up anyway.
Jds197 liked this
By DTDream18
Jds197 wrote:DTDream18, you were right, they're seed grown. Oh well, some of his "B52s" look pretty nice even if they technically aren't the real deal. Might pick one up anyway.
I'm glad that you were able to discover the truth about Fingers001 phony cultivars. I'm not trying to be mean, but this really burns me up. Selling phony cultivars and wording the Ebay ads to purposely deceive people. That's like me going to Lowes, buying up every Flytrap in sight and selling them on Ebay as young DCXL's
Kevonicus wrote: Id say get it if its cheap and see if it turns out to be the largest in your collection
Sorry Kevonicus, but I could not disagree with you more. This guy Fingers001 seems to be making a killing ripping people off. I wouldn't take one of his plants if he were offering it for free.
By Jds197
Well I picked up a "B52" for less than I'd spend on a regular large typical, along with a Drosera Regia for a pretty good price. It sucks that he's selling bogus cultivars, but if the plants arrive in good shape I'll be happy.
By DTDream18
Jds197 wrote:Well I picked up a "B52" for less than I'd spend on a regular large typical, along with a Drosera Regia for a pretty good price. It sucks that he's selling bogus cultivars, but if the plants arrive in good shape I'll be happy.

I hate to disagree with you Jds197 .... But you didn't buy a B52. You bought a typical.
By Jds197
DTDream18 wrote: I hate to disagree with you Jds197 .... But you didn't buy a B52. You bought a typical.

I understand why you don't like what he's doing, I don't particularly like it either. But even if it's not a B52, it's still a fairly large and colorful typical that will look nice in my collection.
By Kevonicus
Sorry Kevonicus, but I could not disagree with you more. This guy Fingers001 seems to be making a killing ripping people off. I wouldn't take one of his plants if he were offering it for free
Going around selling plants named "DCXL " without clearly stating whether or not they were seed grown from a cross (not a division or a clone) is not right of course. Those that do clearly state that the plant is a seed grown from crosses, may make some money off people who don't know what a cultivated variety is, or new ppl starting out who jump into the hobby and immediately want a giant flytrap cultivar without doing all their research. So unless the seller was trying to perceive a seed grown as being an actual DCXL clone (I haven't actually looked at the sellers listing), he is doing nothing wrong. Though the confusion of having "DCXLxDCXL" plants is that those uneducated ppl buying think they have a DCXL (from a seed) and start selling that plant as a DCXL and so on. The plant business is based on a lot of trust, especially when one can sell a small plant as a high priced rare cultivar and it turn out to just be a typical when it grows out. Theres always bad apples out there, thats why FTS and FTR and us CP growers on here are vital to keeping true Named clones alive. Take Matts recognition for recalling "dracula" months ago and making it clear that those who bought it actually have "polish dracula", which is still a really cool plant btw :).

Besides that, I really like growing out seeds..it's fun not knowing how they might turn out. Crossing named cultivars just increases those chances of some favorable traits showing up in the offspring. Give it your own name since you may never really know :) Enjoy your plant.
Last edited by Kevonicus on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kevonicus liked this
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!