FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
I have a pot of D. filliformis "florida red" that has been doing alright, however recently it lost all its dew. I'm not sure why, the dew hair tips are still pink and there seems to be no other damage to the plant.

I keep it outside in a tray with 1 inch of water. Morning sun and afternoon (4-ish) shade.
Last edited by SundewWolf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SundewWolf
I checked on it today while the sun was still out, and the dew seems to be coming back.

Maybe it just didn't like the wet conditions. I'm not sure how wet this species like to grow, flooded or well drained.
By SFLguy
That sucks :/ but I've found that (with my sundews at least) when it rains a lot they produce less dew until it gets sunny again
By SundewWolf
So...I still have an issue with my filliformis lol -_-

Basically they have been in a hibernacula all summer. I tried growing them dry, growing them wet, full sun, nothing works lol. Now I think I've got mildew growing on the surface.

My next idea is to replant in 50/50 LFS and perlite, and to water heavily and then dry them out. I'm assuming this is how their habitat fluctuates in florida, although its just a guess. Anyone have tips as to something else I should do?

PS. I have the "florida red" form.
By SundewWolf
Yeah maybe its the soil though. I've been keeping them standing in water all august in full sun and there was no change.

Hopefully the LFS/perlite mix will drain better and be more healthy for the roots than soggy peat.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!