FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Nevermore
I am finalizing my "getting out of the inside CP collection business". I had traded/sold off a bunch of helis, neps, and cephs last year after doing a division to two. I held onto a few small stragglers to grow them out a bit before moving them on. I haven't been tending the humidity on my indoor grow chamber like i use to so the collection isn't thriving like it use to.

(TRADED) #1- Heli heterodoxa x minor divisions that have been rooted and stable from last falls division. Planted in a "party cup" for scale.

(TRADED) #2- Heli heterodoxa x minor divisions that have been rooted and stable from last falls division. Planted in a "party cup" for scale.

(TRADED) #3- Nep ampullaria... i have had this one for years and have to hack it back to keep it downsized for my grown chamber. I isn't pitchering out like it should cause of the humidity, but it's growing well. You can see the light bulb in the shot for scale of the plant.

(TRADED) #4- Ceph with multiple growth points. This one has been languishing in the lower humidity but still putting out new growth. It has multiple growth points. Planted in a "party cup" for scale.

Just looking for VFT's or Sarr purpurea/rosea varieties that need a good home (outside bog)

Let me know if you are interested. These are going to be boxed up on monday...

Last edited by Nevermore on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By buakawswagyo
I bought your biggest heliamphora x minor division last year.
It came with free scale. infected my entire tank. I lost a heterodoxa nutans and spathulata x robcantleyi because of it. As well as I had to spray the other infected plants mostly heliamphora with a systemic insecticide. They old pitchers I sprayed are just finally starting to all die off completely and new growth has taken over. So it has taken about a year for that tank to recover.
I strongly suggest not purchasing from this seller based off my experience with him.
If you do I would strongly suggest keeping a close eye on your plant for any signs of infestation like sooty mold, marks on the pitchers etc..
Hopefully this wont happen to anybody else but just needed to warn my friends and fellow members this seller has a history of scale on his plants.
I'm very angry about the whole situation but I find this ironic and actually almost funny had the fiasco not of occurred..
Nevermore-
"Planted in a "party cup" for scale."

I for one will 'Nevermore' buy from him :lol:
By Nevermore
Buakawswagyo- referring to you post on the heli you got from me last year. (link below)

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post1 ... ml#p188389

- none of the photos you post show scale. As others noted in your post... these are just spag bits that are stuck to the plant.

- you refer to the scale by saying "... i saw them come out last night". Please provide some clarity for what you are seeing... this isn't the MO of scale.

- you refer to how you "I started seeing egg sacks now their on my other plant and even on the pots". This again is not the MO of scale.

- you now say that the scale infected your whole tank and you have actually lost plants due to scale. In my experience of collecting miniature orchids and cps (as well as hearing about larger scale/pest issues from other orchid growers/greenhouse owners at our local meetings) scale is not quick to spread... reach adulthood... and actually kill plants. Typically you get distorted growth, stunted growth, and sooty mold growth... but the plant would still continue to grow with a heavy amount of scale. And due to their life cycle... infecting a whole collection (even if it's just an aquarium) would actually take some time and no action from the grower at all to treat them to reach a point that it is causing death of plant.

- if the plant did truly have scale, I apologize, but saying that it was the cause of the decline of you collection quite the step. As will all trades/sales everyone should check them out thoroughly before introducing them to you collection. I have received plenty of plants from others and even sellers with minor pest issues that are taken care of before adding them to my collection (inside or out)
By Goodkoalie
buakawswagyo wrote:I bought your biggest heliamphora x minor division last year.
It came with free scale. infected my entire tank. I lost a heterodoxa nutans and spathulata x robcantleyi because of it. As well as I had to spray the other infected plants mostly heliamphora with a systemic insecticide. They old pitchers I sprayed are just finally starting to all die off completely and new growth has taken over. So it has taken about a year for that tank to recover.
I strongly suggest not purchasing from this seller based off my experience with him.
If you do I would strongly suggest keeping a close eye on your plant for any signs of infestation like sooty mold, marks on the pitchers etc..
Hopefully this wont happen to anybody else but just needed to warn my friends and fellow members this seller has a history of scale on his plants.
I'm very angry about the whole situation but I find this ironic and actually almost funny had the fiasco not of occurred..
Nevermore-
"Planted in a "party cup" for scale."

I for one will 'Nevermore' buy from him :lol:

I did not see any scale in that link you provivded.
By Matt
Scale is really easy to get rid of, but as others said and I wrote in that thread, I don't see any sign of scale.

And, for the record, any time you receive plants from another source, they should be kept away from your other plants and inspected closely for signs of pests.
By Cory
I don't think scale is easy to get rid of at all.
The only way I have had success in the past is to play of their life cycles and treat accordingly. Especially with the weaker products available on the market these days and it's spread around on multiple plants.

I have had several infestations from plants from nurseries or ones I have put outside for the summer that fought me most of the winter to get cleaned up. I ended up tossing a few as it was easier and I was afraid they would spread around even more.

As soon as I though they were gone a couple months later they would appear again. Back to square 1.
By Matt
Cory wrote:I don't think scale is easy to get rid of at all.
The only way I have had success in the past is to play of their life cycles and treat accordingly. Especially with the weaker products available on the market these days and it's spread around on multiple plants.

I have had several infestations from plants from nurseries or ones I have put outside for the summer that fought me most of the winter to get cleaned up. I ended up tossing a few as it was easier and I was afraid they would spread around even more.

As soon as I though they were gone a couple months later they would appear again. Back to square 1.
Interesting. My experience with it was different. I've only had it once and I sprayed with acephate 75 and it died within 24 hours and never came back.
By buakawswagyo
Yes those pictures were from when it first arrived. I was FREAKING OUT because in Nevermore's post said he had a history of scale. It was in fact dry spag :) I thought I was in the clear for a while after that.. The scale bug didn't 'feel at home' right away it took a good few months then I started noticing sooty mold on my media and plant etc.. couldn't see any moving insects so thought it was just a bad fungus outbreak, still it didn't make sense to me as I knew that is a sign of more serious issues. Kept a close eye on it then realize the little suckers where hanging out in the pitchers themselves as well as deep behind and in between the pitchers. Well I did more extensive research on the species of scale and made my best guess which type they were. lol Don't ask me to remember the name..I didn't think twice I just grabbed my systemic and started spraying the culprit plant. I was lucky to catch them in the crawler stage. They were on my H. Nutans and few other nepenthes and another 3 of my other heliamphora as well. So Nevermore, they DO spread quite rapidly especially if the plants are very close together like in my case..I just hit the plants twice 30 days then again after for another 30 days. Bagged off all infected plants and scraped off all the remaining dead egg sacks.
So consider yourselves warned.
I wouldn't wish scale on my worst enemy.
Thanks for the apology Nevermore, but you can keep it with the rest of you plants.
By Dionae
Seems we all have had different experiences with getting rid of scale. Ive had it pop up a few times but after one treatment of insecticide I never see them again on the plant and never had to throw away a plant because of scale. I think mites and caterpillars are way worse than scale.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!