FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Kcox31
So I am doing a "make it yourself" *a sundew and maybe some other plants will go inside at a later point* type deal with a square fish tank. I am going to purchase:

1. Small pebbles
2. Activated charcoal
3. Sand
4. Dirt
5. Peat and LFS

Am I doing this right? I'll layer it on almost like the order of the list then plant my plants inside it and leave it in the window sill where it will get sun most of the day. Since I am in Texas it is way to hot to leave the plants outside, but I want to build a tank for them. If anyone has opinions or suggestions feel free. I am open to anything.
By SFLguy
Where in Texas are you? It might be too hot there but there are growers here that grow cps in the middle of the Arizona desert so you might not need a terrarium, also peat should be the only "dirt" you use (not miracle grow peat)
By mnwatson1
SFLguy wrote:Where in Texas are you? It might be too hot there but there are growers here that grow cps in the middle of the Arizona desert so you might not need a terrarium, also peat should be the only "dirt" you use (not miracle grow peat)
Actually, there are several Texas growers on here, I believe. I remember several saying their plants do really well, but need partial shade (I believe!) In the hottest part of the summer, and need to sit in a tray of water.

Even indoors, a terrarium in the sun can quickly get too hot for a cp.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!