FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By conorday
I currently have two sundews from the same grower both setup in the exact same setting (100% sphagnum moss) with tray water system (distilled) in a south-facing windowsill. However one Sundew is doing fantastic! Seems like new leaves every day (although no noticeable dew yet). The second one's new leaves are turning black before they even get a fighting chance. And it's not growing any new ones that I can notice.

I've only had them for about 2 weeks but it's strange that they're doing drastically different in the exact same situation. Below are 4 photos of the healthy and not-so sundews :( Any thoughts?

http://imgur.com/wv4eXkY,8FPDQ7R,wxZUF9f,VXDL8ye#3
By Sander
Could be different issues, as Nick already said, lighting is the most common issue, another issue is aphids, but i dont see any sign of that.
By conorday
Re: Putting them outside

I ultimately wanted indoor sundews, so this would solution be a temporary thing? If so, how would they react to such extreme temperature changes? The inside is kept around 70F consistently, but hot VA weather can range from 60-100F on a daily basis.

It's still strange that one is flourishing, in my opinion, while one wilts.
By fattytuna
This species isn't the best suited for indoor life unless you can either provide it with grow lights or a direct sun window sill. If you put it outside suddenly, it's likely to experience shock but will probably put out a new crown of leaves in a few weeks. It should be permanently given the best conditions, whether it be outside or inside and not on an alternating basis.
A good species for indict sunlight is Drosera adelae, which is adapted for lower light conditions.
By rayneger
Actually capensis is one of the hardiest sundews out there so it may die but the crown should come back, also I would not recommend getting adelea as a house plant just because they are also humidity lovers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By rayneger
I would probably bring them in after a month or 2 and give them more light in the house,also a good indoor sundew would be drosera venusta or spatulata. Try cobra plant.com

By rayneger
And buy the pots i can tell that you got them from Joel's CPs I think. I would suggest places like california carnivores,cobra plant.com or flytrapstore .trust me , a lot healthier upon arrival

By fattytuna
rayneger wrote:Actually capensis is one of the hardiest sundews out there so it may die but the crown should come back, also I would not recommend getting adelea as a house plant just because they are also humidity lovers

Drosera adelae is rather adaptable and can certainly grow fine in normal humidity levels (at least my strains can). It should be fine as long as the room isn't de-humidified or unless you live in an extremely dry area.
As said, D. capensis is very hardy and can grow fine in indirect sunlight. It's just that its potential shows best in full sun whereas D. adelae is quite adapted for partial sun (although I do admit that highly humid greenhouse environments definitely make them look dewier).
By carebear88raeberac
Just got some new Venus Fly Traps and there still in the case and I don't know what I should do first. Please help me grow them nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sander
carebear88raeberac wrote:Just got some new Venus Fly Traps and there still in the case and I don't know what I should do first. Please help me grow them nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum, next time please make a seperate topic if you have questions (and please do so in the right part of the forum).

All the info u need is in the upper left corner of: http://www.flytrapcare.com/
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!