FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live outside the US, UK or EU

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
Hello,

Does anyone have this type of Venus Fly Trap seeds? If you do and you can ship to Canada please let me know!

-Jonathan
By bvalente
Jonathan_ wrote:Hello,

Does anyone have this type of Venus Fly Trap seeds? If you do and you can ship to Canada please let me know!

-Jonathan
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you're looking for this particular VFT, you should get a leaf pulling or buy the actual plant. Seeds from any specific cultivar doesn't guarantee you're going to get that specific plant, since VFT come in cultivars and not subspecies.
bvalente liked this
By SundewWolf
bvalente is right. The seeds may look similar too, or completely different from, BZ1955. Flytrap cultivars are propagated via natural divisions, leaf pullings, or tissue culture. Any VFT that grows from a seed cannot be regarded as an existing cultivar.
SundewWolf, SundewWolf liked this
By dmagnan
As SundewWolf says, if you grow a plant from self pollinated BZ1955 seed, you cannot call the seedling BZ1955. All seedlings are typicals, even if they have the traits of their parents. The reason is that all seedlings (even from a self-pollinated plant) do not have identical DNA to their parent(s). Only direct clones (natural divisions made by the plant or root cuttings) have identical DNA and therefore can be called by that cultivar name.

Also, if you're just starting in growing flytraps, most people here will recommend starting with an adult plant. They are much much easier to take care of than seedlings, and you won't have to wait three years for an adult plant.
dmagnan liked this
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!