FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
So I amn starting off a good collection of carnivorous plants and love my VFT. Little did I know this hobby would already bring me to buying 8 plants, and I have only been doing this for 3 months :lol:

I love my VFT. I have 4 Typical, 2 Vigorous, and 2 Jaws (with about 4 very young/baby plants) and now I am interested in getting another type of carnivorous plant.

I am looking at getting either a pitcher plant or a sundew, but unsure which one to get. So here are some questions:

What would you recommend (I live in Michigan) for a starter plant?

What are your opinions of both?

How are the growing conditions compared to VFT?

Thank you everyone :D
By Cory
If it's your first sundew a capensis would probably work.
Care is about exactly the same
Sarracenia is as well.

If you go the nepenthes route that can get complicated depending on species

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By parker679
If space isn't and issue go with a Sarracenia. How are you growing the plants? Sarracenia needs lots of light, like as much direct Sun as you can throw at them. They tend to not do as well next to a window.

S. purpurea are good starter Sarrs. They tolerate a wide range of conditions and are pretty hardy plants.
By SFLguy
Purpurea can live in Canada so it fits fine in cold weather, capensis are even easier than vfts to grow, they become like weeds

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
By bvalente
Right now all of my VFT are outside. Our temperatures right now are in the 60's and night time temps in the 40's. Summer a general average would be mid 80's but it can creep near 100 +/- a few degrees. They get an average of 9hours of direct sunlight, probably close to 14 total between dawn and dusk too.

My indoor lighting is 3 24" 24w 2000 lumen t5ho ( 2 6500K and 1 3000K). As I mentioned before, I am not using these because the plants are outside right now.

As far as media, I would like to keep all my plants in LFSM if they would work in that, but I am not sure so some recommendations would be appreciated.
By Marine botonist kid
Your VFTs can stay the way they are. You can also grow sundew and sarracenia in LFS. I believe sarracenia are more cold hardy than drosera (sundews). And both can grow just as easy as VFTs if not easier. Although sarracenia are larger and have WAY BIGFER roots than sundews.
By Eric Millikin
Hey, I'm in Michigan, too.

Like SFLguy and parker679 said, a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is a good way to go. They grow native in Michigan and further north up into Canada.

There are 4 sundews that I know are native in Michigan: Anglica, Intermedia, Linearis and Rotundifolia. They all grow in Southeast Michigan where we are at, and up north into the upper peninsula.

I am growing Anglica and Intermedia, and also a 'Nagamoto', which has 3 out of its 4 grandparents as Michigan natives -- D. x Nagamoto is (linearis x rotundifolia) x (rotundifolia x spatulata).

You should be able to grow most any Sarracenia in your area; a lot of other sundews are going to be less cold tolerant or tropical.

Good luck!
By bvalente
Eric Millikin wrote:Hey, I'm in Michigan, too.

Like SFLguy and parker679 said, a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is a good way to go. They grow native in Michigan and further north up into Canada.

There are 4 sundews that I know are native in Michigan: Anglica, Intermedia, Linearis and Rotundifolia. They all grow in Southeast Michigan where we are at, and up north into the upper peninsula.

I am growing Anglica and Intermedia, and also a 'Nagamoto', which has 3 out of its 4 grandparents as Michigan natives -- D. x Nagamoto is (linearis x rotundifolia) x (rotundifolia x spatulata).

You should be able to grow most any Sarracenia in your area; a lot of other sundews are going to be less cold tolerant or tropical.

Good luck!
Awesome thank you! Good to see another Michigan grower, especially with how chaotic our weather is! Thank you for the tips and advice.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
By Cory
I had no idea there were other michigan growers. I only knew of a couple but none on here.....
Where you all at?

By bvalente
Cory wrote:I had no idea there were other michigan growers. I only knew of a couple but none on here.....
Where you all at?

I am in Macomb, about 20 minutes north of Detroit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
By Cory
Ok
I'm in the Kalamazoo area
SW Michigan. If you want to know what you could possibly grow here look at my grow list.

By Eric Millikin
SFLguy wrote:I would avoid Psittacinas as they do not tolerate frost well
Yeah, I shouldn't say you can probably grow most sarracenia in Michigan without saying:

I've only been doing this for a year. Last winter, my sarracenia and flytraps survived the winter in front of a window in my unheated garage. Next winter, for those most brutally cold days like -15 days we had, I'll probably put them in front of the window in my basement, where it's a little warmer than the garage but not so warm the plants'll break dormancy.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!