FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By gilroy222
Title says it all.

What's the best carnivorous plant to get rid of insects inside a home? I have a VFT but as I've read it needs a lot of sunlight it is outside. Do Sundew's or Pitcher's get along well indoors?

It also seems that sundews and pitchers actually attract insects much better.
By Grey
Hey there gilroy,

It really depends on the insects you're trying to eradicate. If they are larger flies you'll likely need something with a larger trapping mechanism such as some Nepenthes, which can do fairly well indoors depending on your conditions. For smaller flies like fruit flies, Drosera can be very useful; I find Pinguicula ideal for that purpose - I have many photos of my fly-smothered P. 'Tina' plant, which is a Mexican Pinguicula. Mexican Pinguicula are ideal house plants.

Sarracenia, another type of "pitcher plant" (but not the same as nepenthes) are better kept outside, but can catch larger insects. Heliamphora are another "pitcher" plant that can be grown indoors, often in a terrarium. Same with Cephalotus. As for their trapping capabilities, I'm not entirely certain as I've not kept them successfully.
Grey liked this

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!