FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By bannister
Just want to get an assessment on if anyone is interested in live sphagnum moss before I post photos.

I have green, and a red/purple/green species available by the strand/cup, enough to start your own colonies (I chop mine up to 1-inch segments so they multiply faster).
Limited quantities! They grow slow!

Instructions for growing: http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/ (I basically give it lots of diffused, bright lights; give it high humidity; grow it on New Zealand long-fiber sphagnum moss substrate; and flood it with distilled water once a week)

Photos on the left show what it looks like when you get it. Photos on right show them after a month. I only have been growing them for a couple months so no photos of them growing longer than that.

$8.00 for 15-20 1-inch strands, or $15 per cup.
Green. Slow/Medium grow speed.

$6.00 for 15-20 1-inch strands, or $10 per cup.
Green. Medium/Fast grow speed.

$12.00 for 15-20 1-inch strand, or $20 per cup.
Red/Purple/Green. Slow/Medium grow speed. Needs lots of sun for red color, takes about 4-6 months to become red. RARE TO FIND.

Updated pricing because moss are not fast growers, but when they fill your pot it makes it worth the effort.
Plus $3.50 shipping.
Last edited by bannister on Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 30 times in total.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Ooooo, post pics! How dark is the purple sphagnum? :D
Oh and is that purple moss seasonal? Or like only purple at certain times of year?
By SundewWolf
NatchGreyes wrote:Also, is it temperate or tropical variety? Some people may have problems providing dormancy.
I'm interested in getting some live sphag as well for both my temperates and tropicals, but I wasnt aware there was tropical varieties of sphagnum moss. Do the ones you're selling withstand dormancy?
By bannister
I am not aware of that there were tropical or temperate varieties, or whether they go dormant.

I do know that I put some on top of my Venus Fly Traps during the winter and it was too cold/dry the tips dried up and turned white. I sprayed them twice or more a day to prevent that from happening during that period. Based on that, I will say they cannot handle freezing conditions. They are best used with high humidity plants, and they grow best when the humidity is high in general.

I know sphagnum and Venus Fly Traps have different growing conditions but I like using it for top dressing.
By bannister
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Ooooo, post pics! How dark is the purple sphagnum? :D
Oh and is that purple moss seasonal? Or like only purple at certain times of year?
It's initially red/green when you get it, and it will grow green, then it will get red/purple with good sun (I prefer strong diffused light).
By Leathal_Traps
How are you currently growing it? When you say a cup do you mean a cup as in the unit or one cup as a general term for a container? I am interested in the red, if you can could you post pictures of your setup? Many thanks.

EDIT: PM'ed
By bannister
Leathal_Traps wrote:How are you currently growing it? When you say a cup do you mean a cup as in the unit or one cup as a general term for a container? I am interested in the red, if you can could you post pictures of your setup? Many thanks.

EDIT: PM'ed
One actual cup (unit of measure) of the red moss (It's very hard to find).
By kpawar18
I'd be interested in the green soft slow growing sphagnum or red/purple as well!

Just recently started cps and only have new growth of hard-stemmed sphagnum that came from the commercial bag of dead lfs and want to avoid buying any more than that one bag by setting my own supply. The red looks beautiful against the plants!!

Still going through forum rules so apologies if I overstep a known rule.
By sixthbrand
Hi Bannister,

I am very interested to get some of your red sphagnum moss, but i live in Singapore and is willing to pay via paypal.

Are you able to send some over to me?

Not able to pm you not sure why.

Hope to hear from you, thanks.

Kent
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!