FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By keitarofox
So for the past couple weeks, I have been staying away from dairy products as a kind of test. I have noticed some improvement in my asthma. Milk always has seemed to flare up my breathing.
By cyph3r_gfy
So for the past couple weeks, I have been staying away from dairy products as a kind of test. I have noticed some improvement in my asthma. Milk always has seemed to flare up my breathing.
While I'm not a doctor, I've read that: Apples, Lemons, Oranges, Ginger and Honey can help manage symptoms of Asthma. Ultimately, decreasing frequency and intensity of an attack.

Again, I am not a doctor and this is not a remedy and should not be used as such. This is only meant to be supplemental to your doctor prescribed treatments. I would also consult your doctor prior to incorporating honey into your diet.

Eating local honey can also help reduce the intensity of allergies, during allergy season. Again, consult your doctor.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By Matt
cyph3r_gfy wrote:Thought this interesting, since I see it all over the place.

http://www.offgridquest.com/green/697-plantain-weed
Yes, very interesting. I've seen that stuff all over the place back in Missouri. I don't recall seeing it here in Oregon though. I find it quite interesting that many of the plants we consider weeds sometimes turn out to have great value for humans.
By Mufasa
Sup
just posting to say i've also had a very similar diet for the majority of my life (since i was around 11 or 12), i don't know anyone else who has a similar diet, so i guess it was a decision i made at a young age

i think the foods i eat most frequently are
broccoli
black beans
avocado
sesame seeds
oats
occasionally wholemeal Lebanese breads
rice/pea protein powders (bulk, unflavored), the vega stuff is atleast 6x more expensive from memory
and i really like sparkling mineral water (i don't drink anything with sugar or fake sugar in it)
i also occasionally use agave syrup as a sweetner, or for cooking
indian spice mixes
i'm trying to think of some things that i don't see on your list that i can recommend , falafel is nice, and high in protein, traditionally it is deep fried, but i always oven bake it
i also enjoy experimenting with seeing how nice of a meal i can make using only the microwave, my favorite is sweet potato, black beans, onion, served with cold tomato and avocado after it's cooked

i used to have problems being underweight, probably 3 or so years ago, i had a really unhealthy mindset along the lines of "more calories = bad", since then i kinda adopt the mindset that "i'll eat as i feel like it, and if i gain too much weight, i'll deal with it", along with more regular exercise, and now i'm a much more healthy weight, and still fairly low bodyfat

usually i take some vitamins, i'm not too sure how beneficial they are, probably just fear mongering on the advertisers part, i take b12, an algal DHA-EPA supplement (omega 3's) and a vitamin d supplement, i don't always take these consistently, the D and B12 are relatively inexpencive, i can't attest to any noticeable benefits, the b12 tends to wake me up a little in the mornings though

other than that, i haven't had any noticeable health issues in my memory, i haven't had a headache in years, for the most part i feel energetic in the mornings

also, have you tried growing your own foods? it's very rewarding, and there are plants that require very little attention to grow well, we grow broccoli, capsicum (bell pepper) chilli, tomato, lettuce (in bulk), spinach, leeks, cucumbers, watermelons, and probably other things i cant think of

oh also, hate to say it, some beers and wines do have animal ingredients, there are clarifying materials used which include fish bladders (i think it's called isinglas), or gelatin, though there are still alot of brands that are suitable

anyways, good on you, sorry for bumping this thread, but i hope you'll give me a response :P
Mufasa liked this
By Matt
Mufasa wrote:i used to have problems being underweight, probably 3 or so years ago, i had a really unhealthy mindset along the lines of "more calories = bad"
Sorry to hear that.
Mufasa wrote:since then i kinda adopt the mindset that "i'll eat as i feel like it, and if i gain too much weight, i'll deal with it", along with more regular exercise, and now i'm a much more healthy weight, and still fairly low bodyfat
That seems like a much more healthy attitude about eating.
Mufasa wrote:also, have you tried growing your own foods? it's very rewarding
Yes! We have a small garden. But we have such a nice local co-op and good farmer's market that it's almost not worth the effort of growing our own stuff when we can buy great local, organic produce for very little.

Thanks so much for posting here. It's been a while since anyone has chimed in!
By Mufasa
Yeah, being underweight, it wasnt really severe like annorexia or something, but i'm sure it wasnt healthy, i can't recall ny specific problems that came from it, though if i was into sports back then i might have noticed shortness of breath, weakness, or something
By cyph3r_gfy
Glad you're getting back on track Mufasa! I would advise trying to stabilize your weight, which if you stay pretty much regular with your eating habits, and your exercise habits; will work itself out on its own. Gaining and/or losing weight like a yo-yo, can be equally as bad for you.
By katya_dog1
Matt wrote:
cyph3r_gfy wrote:Thought this interesting, since I see it all over the place.

http://www.offgridquest.com/green/697-plantain-weed
Yes, very interesting. I've seen that stuff all over the place back in Missouri. I don't recall seeing it here in Oregon though. I find it quite interesting that many of the plants we consider weeds sometimes turn out to have great value for humans.
Ho, plantain is a poison ivy neutralizer. It is disgusting, but you chew it up and then rub it on your skin where the poison ivy touched you. I literally walked through a jungle of poison ivy, but I took a bath in a bunch of plantain ground up in a food processor. No poison ivy! It really does work. Also, Jewelweed will help to cure poison ivy that you have already got. stops it itching and downs the swelling. I have a patch that I need to transplant so that I will always have some.
By katya_dog1
Gardening helps to see where your food is coming from.... It is a lot healthier to eat without the additives. I eat vegetarian around 60 percent of the year, I still eat eggs and drink milk, but I am still growing. And cheese... I do not think I could live without cheese. A little goes a long way though, on average I probably eat around 1-2 ounces a day, generally less. I am going to try to make cheese and yogurt myself, sounds good. One more thing, eating home-made bread (with natural ingredients e.g. unbleached flour) is not a bad thing.
katya_dog1 liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!