FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Wikiwakawakawee
So I've been wondering, do vft's with thin petioles grow faster since less energy would be needed to form smaller leaves? or would flytraps with bigger, broader petioles grow faster since they can photosynthesize more? Can anyone answer from experience? :) My KMS seems to be throwing up traps the most compared to my other flytraps, but then again, my A2's have been growing quite fast as well, almost at the same rate as my KMS, and they have the broadest petioles in my collection...Maybe they both grow faster than flytraps with normal sized petioles??
By stevelau1911
I believe that thinner, but taller stems are produced in response to more light, but I think it's the higher light that causes them to make the change. The higher light also likely gets them to grow faster too.

The shorter fatter leaves appear to be what is produced in low light dormancy situations.

Here's the change in action on my largest dcxl.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Haha that wasn't my question, but thanks :D I know vft's produce different leaves depending on the season, but my question is: Do flytraps with naturally thin petioles( Korean Melody Shark for example) grow faster than flytraps with normal sized petioles, or is it the other way around? :)
By Nick
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Haha that wasn't my question, but thanks :D I know vft's produce different leaves depending on the season, but my question is: Do flytraps with naturally thin petioles( Korean Melody Shark for example) grow faster than flytraps with normal sized petioles, or is it the other way around? :)
I am not sure if growth speed is necessarily linked to petiole size/shape. I don't have a ton of experience with lots of cultivars so I could be wrong.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Nick wrote:
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Haha that wasn't my question, but thanks :D I know vft's produce different leaves depending on the season, but my question is: Do flytraps with naturally thin petioles( Korean Melody Shark for example) grow faster than flytraps with normal sized petioles, or is it the other way around? :)
I am not sure if growth speed is necessarily linked to petiole size/shape. I don't have a ton of experience with lots of cultivars so I could be wrong.
well I'm just wondering because I'm seeing this in my own collection, but I don't know if this would be true for everyone :)
By LAKJP
Now that you have pointed that out, I think it might hold some truth in it because my Cross Teeth is the most vigorous (not the biggest) out of my collection, and it grows thin petioles naturally.
By Wikiwakawakawee
LAKJP wrote:Now that you have pointed that out, I think it might hold some truth in it because my Cross Teeth is the most vigorous (not the biggest) out of my collection, and it grows thin petioles naturally.
Exactly! :D My KMS throws up traps like crazy compared to my other flytraps.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!