FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DonaldRodriguez
My drosera capensis flowered about a couple weeks ago and the flowers seemed to appeared to have turned into seed pods. I recently tapped the "seed pods" on a piece of paper and saw these black dots. I was wondering if these are seeds and what would be the best way to germinate them as this is my first time growing dorsera capensis :D
Attachments:
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg (359.84 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
By Sander
Yes, those are seeds indeed.
And since its concerning drosera capensis, u can just sprinkle them (try to do this evenly :p) on some moist peat.
This is done best asap after harvest (fresher seeds), keep peat moist until germination
Sander liked this
By roarke
Sander is right. This way you can avoid the longer process of acclimating them if you germinating them under saran wrap.
If you use coir, peat, quartz sand do not forget to wash them for about 10-15 times with tap water and after that for about 4 times with distilled water.
Than like Sander said, first moist the peat (or peat mixed with coir or quartz sand).
And put that pot in a tray of distilled water to keep the peat moist at all times.
By Ras
wouldnt bother washing them, chances are they will wash away like dust if not done right. and I doubt there is going to be anything on them that his plants or media arent already exposed to seeing as the seeds come from his plant
By roarke
Ras wrote:wouldnt bother washing them, chances are they will wash away like dust if not done right. and I doubt there is going to be anything on them that his plants or media arent already exposed to seeing as the seeds come from his plant
I meant washing the soil that he will use.
By mnwatson1
DanyulMac wrote:Jesus thats quite a lot of seeds!!! :O
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe me, if what I got from my Indica was any indication, he'll have a WHOLE LOT more than that to deal with soon! XD
By Ras
roarke wrote:
Ras wrote:wouldnt bother washing them, chances are they will wash away like dust if not done right. and I doubt there is going to be anything on them that his plants or media arent already exposed to seeing as the seeds come from his plant
I meant washing the soil that he will use.
derp
my bad

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!