FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SFLguy
Hey guys, so I noticed that there appears to be small white "stuff" on and around my plants, it isn't any sort of bug and it's soft and malleable so it isn't sand, any one have an idea as to what it might be?
By SFLguy
Hmm, if it is, what do you suggest I do for it?
By LAKJP
You can just take it off, but letting the media dry a bit would naturally get rid of them.
LAKJP liked this
By jmoore3274
Usually with fungus you will see damage or abnormal growth before you see spores. How is the new growth looking? I have seen this before and it is either debris or its from insects. If the new growth is twisted then more than likely its an insect like thrips. If not I wouldn't fret and just keep an eye on it. Usually fungus will attack fast and hard almost over night. Especially on the crown which means the plant is too weak to fight it. Im not seeing any fungus damage but if you're worried dry it out a tad. Just keep an eye on it and thoroughly inspect it for pests.

I just had an epiphany. Have you been seeing fungus flies? There is a chance that could be caused by the larvae molting.
jmoore3274 liked this
By SFLguy
Oh that's what it must be, my plant's leaves are always covered in gnats!
By Maiden
I agree with LAKJP, just try to grow your plants mostly on the dry side. This will also help with your gnats problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
By SFLguy
Maiden wrote:I agree with LAKJP, just try to grow your plants mostly on the dry side. This will also help with your gnats problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately because of my climate growing them on the dry side would probably be too little water, at the moment a foot and a half wide/3 inch deep pot holder is what I'm using for them all, and even though I fill it to about two inches every day I have to fill it up pretty much every time I get home :/
By jmoore3274
With you being in Miami I would keep the plants in a tray of water. If the fungus flies are bad look into Bacillus thuringiensis powder. Sprinkle a little of that into your watering tray and it will help control the larvae.
By tish
If you want a safer way to get ride of those ??? Pest / fungus. Add 1 part white/artificial vinegar to 20 part water and spray all over the plant. Spray a little if you are not sure. I admit I have not done it before on cp. But it works on my other plants

Vinegar is weak acid.

Sent from my SM-N9005
By LAKJP
tish wrote:If you want a safer way to get ride of those ??? Pest / fungus. Add 1 part white/artificial vinegar to 20 part water and spray all over the plant. Spray a little if you are not sure. I admit I have not done it before on cp. But it works on my other plants

Vinegar is weak acid.

Sent from my SM-N9005
Do you know if your recipe is effective against red spider mites?

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!