FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Elaol
I've planted Dionaea Muscipula Big Mouth and Drosera capensis alba and pink 7 days ago. Yesterday I've noticed ant around my containers. Today when I was watering plants, three ants appeared in water when I poured it into bowl. How to fight them? I can't buy some anti-ant product it might kill plant. What to do? Can ants even live in peat, since it is acidly soil?

P.S. Ants are those tiny, red ants. So, they aren't great meal or VFT :(
By steve booth
Stand the pot in water as deep as you can for an hour or so, that will get them out the pot ,or drown them, if that is where they are living, otherwise if it is only 3 ants they are probably out forraging for food and dont cause a threat.

Cheers
Steve
steve booth, steve booth, steve booth and 1 others liked this
By Elaol
steve booth wrote:Stand the pot in water as deep as you can for an hour or so, that will get them out the pot ,or drown them, if that is where they are living, otherwise if it is only 3 ants they are probably out forraging for food and dont cause a threat.

Cheers
Steve
They were already in pots when I spotted ants. Can they do any harm? Since peat is acidly soil?
By steve booth
Hi Elaol
If the soil is wet the ants wont burrow into it as it won't suit their requirements. so they wont set up home, also if there are only a few ants they can do no real harm to the plant. So unless there are hundreds of the little blighters don't worry.

Cheers
steve
steve booth liked this
By Elaol
steve booth wrote:Hi Elaol
If the soil is wet the ants wont burrow into it as it won't suit their requirements. so they wont set up home, also if there are only a few ants they can do no real harm to the plant. So unless there are hundreds of the little blighters don't worry.

Cheers
steve
Thanks a lot! I really hate ants, and I know what they did to my mother's plants. Now I am relieved :)

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!