FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
Huh. I guess i was looking at the second page of the post, Matt did write it.

So does Mirror x Mirror make weirder leaves with more pronounced flanges than the original mirror trap?
If so, Do you think you'll sell them, or just replace mirror with a "new improved" seed from mirror trap?
By Matt
SundewWolf wrote:So does Mirror x Mirror make weirder leaves with more pronounced flanges than the original mirror trap?
So far, yes. It seems to almost always make leaves with a flange on both sides of the trap. I say "almost" because I have only seen two or three traps (out of many that it's produced) without double flanges.
SundewWolf wrote:If so, Do you think you'll sell them, or just replace mirror with a "new improved" seed from mirror trap?
We can't do the latter because that would be a misrepresentation of the Mirror plant. It is a named clone that can only be propagated vegetatively. So we'll likely name this new Mirror x Mirror seedling something and distribute it in addition to Mirror if it proves itself to be worthy of doing so.

We're also in the process of propagating a new variety from Europe called Cereberus, which also shows flanges and is reportedly much more stable than Mirror in doing so. Here's a photo of Dionaea Cereberus:
Matt liked this
By SundewWolf
Matt wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:If so, Do you think you'll sell them, or just replace mirror with a "new improved" seed from mirror trap?
We can't do the latter because that would be a misrepresentation of the Mirror plant. It is a named clone that can only be propagated vegetatively. So we'll likely name this new Mirror x Mirror seedling something and distribute it in addition to Mirror if it proves itself to be worthy of doing so.
Oops. Good point, forgot flytrap cultivars can't just be "replaced". I think I was thinking mirror was a FTS original, which you could just "update". Again that doesn't consider the ones already sold....I didnt think that through. :oops:

Wow yeah "cerebus" looks awesome! I think i want to buy mirror, mirror^2, and cerebus just to have all types of mirror traps lol.
By Matt
SundewWolf wrote:I think i want to buy mirror, mirror^2, and cerebus just to have all types of mirror traps lol.
If you like that sort of odd growth, they're all worth owning! And then you could potentially make crosses with them and produce more interesting seedlings :)
By SundewWolf
Matt wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:I think i want to buy mirror, mirror^2, and cerebus just to have all types of mirror traps lol.
If you like that sort of odd growth, they're all worth owning! And then you could potentially make crosses with them and produce more interesting seedlings :)
Yeah, I like Fuzzy tooth, mirror, trichterfalle, etc. all the weird ones. I cross pollinated my trichterfalle for now, but want some more to cross in the future. I wanna see how weird of a flytrap can be made lol.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!