FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By SFLguy
Hey guys, what would be a good plant to grow in South Florida (Zone 10)?
By Veronis
If your low temps don't drop below ~45-50, you could also grow subtropicals outdoors (such as drosera capensis...one of the best starter sundews and one of my favorites) and some of the hardier tropical plants would grow for you outdoors as well.

If you're unsure, pick some plants you like and post what they are here before you purchase and we can help you determine what would grow well for you based on what conditions you will be providing (inside on the windowsill, vs outside on the deck), etc.
By SFLguy
Well I'm already having trouble with Capensis since it's too hot here for them
By Matt
SFLguy wrote:Well I'm already having trouble with Capensis since it's too hot here for them
Too hot? That's interesting! We've had temperatures up over 100°F in the summer months and the D. capensis don't seem to mind it if they are protected from the mid-day sun. But we always have a temperature drop at night. I wonder if that matters?
By SFLguy
I'm going to start covering them from over head so they should start to do better but I guess the wind / full sun combination wasn't their favorite :?
By SFLguy
Well there's no such thing as dry wind down in south Florida :) but it can get pretty strong at times so it still hurts them I just finished setting up a shade cloth on top of my CPs but that means they will be getting direct sun from 7 ish to 11 and bright bright shade for the rest of the day :/ do you think that will be enough?
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!