FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
I'm reading a review article titled "Mineral Nutrition of Carnivorous Plants" (Adamec, 1997), which investigates the different methods of nutrient absorption by CPs. I found it interesting that a large number of carnivorous plants (but not all) obtained a significant amount of their mineral nutrition from the soil. In many plants, feeding them insects resulted in more biomass and nutrients in the plant, but foliar feeding was only supplementary to root nutrition in a lot of cases.

For people interested in developing CP substrates, this might be a field worth investigating.

Just some thoughts.
By fattytuna
Actually the report said that Venus Flytraps might be one of the plants that rely heavily on leaf nutrient uptake.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't go around adding nutrients to the soil if you don't know what you're doing. Soil in natural carnivorous plant habitats is generally nutrient poor, but not completely devoid of nutrition. I'm just saying that some problems might arise if you try to use completely inorganic, synthetic or otherwise nutrient-free substrates, as many species do rely on soil nutrition.
Not what you would expect...

Misplaced urine specimen? But which container[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!