FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to organize or join a group order

Moderator: Matt

By Dionae
I finally decided to get my import permits so I can go all international with my obsession and thought i'd share what I had to do and exactly what permits you need. First you need to go here and make an account-

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/home/

After getting your account opened(waiting 10 and 20 minutes and confirming through email) you need to apply for level 2 access to the site. After applying for level 2 you will have to fax or visit the closest usda service center(you can google for a list) to show them your ID and they will verify your level 2 access.

Next you will need to login to your usda account and apply for forms PPQ587(free) and PPQ621($70). I'll apply for both next week and tell you about the forms and process after filing the forms, etc.

If you need help call the APHIS main office in Maryland. They are very nice and very helpful and very thorough in their explanations.

Update soon!
Dionae, Dionae, Dionae and 3 others liked this
By Dionae
Filed for my PPQ587. Youll have to fill out 3 sections-

Applicant
Articles
Inspection station

Make sure you click add article on the article section and put "eligible taxa" for both species youre importing and country of origin so you can import everything. For inspection station I picked all ports with inspection agent. Now I just have to wait.
Dionae liked this
By Matt
Thanks for spelling out the process Dionae! I did this years ago and had forgotten about most of it :) But I still regularly use the site for getting Phyto. Certs. for international orders. And recently I just got notification that I'll need to renew my "level 2 access" but I think I can do this without having to go to an office in person. I'm still waiting to hear back on that.
Matt liked this
By Dionae
Just to clarify a few things about importing the plants after you get your permit/s. You should contact the place youre ordering before placing an order to tell them you have permits and need a phytosanitary cert. After placing your order you have to ship the seller your permit (which is just a sticker to be placed on the package they ship iinm) before they ship your plants. The seller should ship the package to your nearest inspection station with a label with your address in with the plants so APHIS can forward them to you.

Now this is only if you order 13 plants or more. 12 or less require a phytosanitary cert only, if they're not on CITES.

I'm so anxious.
Last edited by Dionae on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dionae liked this
By Matt
Dionae wrote:Now this is only if you order 13 plants or more. 12 or less require a phytosanitary cert only if they're not on CITES.
I think you mean "import permit" in this sentence, right? I think a phytosanitary certificate is required for any plant material crossing international borders.
By Dionae
No, Matt I said it right. You don't need an import permit for 12 plants or less that are not on CITES, just phyto certs.

Reread that and I can actually see how I messed that up lol. Added a comma so it would be more transparent.
Dionae liked this
By Dionae
Make sure you check your aphis account often. I had to answer a question before the 587 could be issued and didnt notice for 5 days so still waiting.

As for the 621 the site reads the permit was issued on the 14th so I'm hoping I get paperwork in the next few days. Update then.
By Matt
Dionae wrote:Make sure you check your aphis account often. I had to answer a question before the 587 could be issued and didnt notice for 5 days so still waiting.
Weird. I have direct contact with the officer in my area who is very responsive any time I file for paperwork. I usually hear from him within 24 hours after submitting any new applications, either to set up a time to meet or to get any questions answered he or I may have.
Matt liked this
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!