FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
I have a few new pictures to update this tread with.
One of my year-old ventricosa got its first maturely shaped pitcher...

Plus, I just got some N. attenboroughii and N. sp. "Mt. Mingan" seeds in a trade, so I could have some pictures of these guys later this year (I REALLY hope...)
bananaman liked this
By coline
Very interesting situations you guys have, I have a very different case, here my plants were SO MUCH I really beleived that seed viability in nepenthes was just a myth and then purchased several more times more seeds, with incredibly low germination....

But, here is my case:

My first ever nepenthes seed were Ventricosa seeds

And I got about 200 plants... but, beleive it or not, these are 2 years old! don't know why they are so slow when I just some meters away below some trees I have these healthy and fast growing adults:

So with that package I got almost a 80% germination I think, but then only 1/100 or 1/1000 have germinated from other sources, even fresh seed provided by friends, and that is in TC!
coline liked this
By bananaman
I just got germination on my N. atenboroughii!!
I've got two sprouts so far!
But, I only have a good picture of one:
They are planted in pure LFS, in constant 19-22°C temperatures.
They are getting bright, inderict light from my non-terrarium grow light (one of the big 2 foot long CFL's). It is about 8" under the light, but off to the side, so it is not getting direct light.

Coline: what conditions are you giving your ventricosa seedlings? Mine are only a little over a year, and even my smallest are bigger than yours...
By coline
they are on a 20cm tall pot, way above a 1cm or less water level, besides my droseras in the greenhouse, they have a shade cloth to cover the sun from 11-1pm to reduce heat, and well, heat is normal all year round from 20-28ºC aproximately, natural humidity never gets below 70%
By bananaman
Yay!
My biggest N. attenboroughii is starting to open its seed leaves!

Coline: I'm not sure why they would not do great in those conditions. Mine grew to the size that they are in just over a year. They were planted in pure LFS, and kept at between 18 and 23 degrees Celsius. They had 16 hours of light per day, and had a humidity of 40-60 percent...
By coline
I say it may be either the light photoperiod (11.5-13.5 hours during the year) or maybe the medium, kind of D. schizandra, that might even die on peat perlite but lives well in LFS and loves live sphagnum, since I have always had them on peat perlite,... I'll take some and try LFS and see what happens.

How many more than 2 of yours have germinated so far?

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!