FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
I picked up this flytrap today at a local orchid nursery. It was one of five (the other four were normal. Same brand same conditions). It is " little pot of horrors" brand, but looks a bit like moon traps or angel wings. I checked for pests and checked the rhizome and everything seems fine. Did I stumble upon a genetic mutation?

Also, none of these traps seem to be functional.. at all. Not even a little bit. Not sure if new traps will be functional, but i'm hoping they will be this same shape either way.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (186.94 KiB) Viewed 17672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (240.08 KiB) Viewed 17673 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (245.43 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (242.94 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (234.51 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (259.56 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
Last edited by SundewWolf on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SundewWolf, SundewWolf, SundewWolf and 1 others liked this
By SundewWolf
Yeah, I'll post pics when it starts growing new traps.

I saw one last year grown by a nursery that looked like "wacky traps". I asked about it later and they said they don't carry cultivars other than cupped and akai ryu. Big regret not picking that one up.
Last edited by SundewWolf on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mnwatson1
A lot of mine seem to do that when the traps die or get old, so it may just be that it's shedding its traps or went through unfavorable conditions.
By SundewWolf
mnwatson1 wrote:A lot of mine seem to do that when the traps die or get old, so it may just be that it's shedding its traps or went through unfavorable conditions.
I figured it could have been stress as well, but the other four looked fantastic and they were in the exact same place. I thought for a while but decided to take a chance and pick it up hoping the trait persists. I guess time will tell.

Also, not sure if this gives the mutation theory any more credibility, but there is a tiny rhizome division in the pot with these traits. Too small to to know for sure though as the traps are really tiny (The division could fit completely on my thumbnail with room to spare).
By Kevonicus
That is a very strange looking flytrap. My flytraps have only looked like after some of the old traps experienced a freeze. Since your leaves are still healthy looking keep your fingers crossed that its stable, if matts excited you know it's unique :).
By ironjaws
Hey, I found a flytrap that looked exactly like yours. Hopefully the mutation is stable, but in my case the plant was just in pretty shape(tap water, little if any air circulation, little death cube). After those particular leaves died off the new ones started growing normally.
By Matt
Kevonicus wrote:if matts excited you know it's unique
True story! I've seen lots of flytraps that aren't that unique, but this one sure does look like a special freak. I hope it's stable and the misshapen leaves aren't a result of some sort of mistreatment of the plant. That doesn't appear to be the case judging from the photos, so I'm hopeful that this is a new variety that might make it into distribution someday.
By SundewWolf
I repotted it about a week ago into new soil and flushed it with water. Its looking a bit bad so I think it definitely got neglected. Most of the existing growth is turning yellow now.
There is finally a sign of new growth, a single trap emerging from the rhizome. Hopefully it will have the same traits. I'm thinking its possible that even though this plant got neglected there is a chance the physical appearance is still due to genetics.

We will see when the new traps are fully grown!
By ironjaws
SundewWolf wrote:I repotted it about a week ago into new soil and flushed it with water. Its looking a bit bad so I think it definitely got neglected. Most of the existing growth is turning yellow now.
There is finally a sign of new growth, a single trap emerging from the rhizome. Hopefully it will have the same traits. I'm thinking its possible that even though this plant got neglected there is a chance the physical appearance is still due to genetics.

We will see when the new traps are fully grown!
I'm looking forward to the new set of leaves/traps. Hopefully the freaky deaky traits are stable! :D
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!