FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mktamin
I'm receiving some seeds of Drosera filiformis var. filiformis, and it says on the ICPS's website that they need to be stratified before they germinate. Should I stratify them in the fridge when I get my seeds in a few weeks, only to have them face natural winter a couple months later, or should I just wait to stratify them during natural winter? Do these seeds do best when sown immediately like dionaea, or will the germination rate continue to be high after several months?
By afh928
I have had 100% germination rate with MANY species of temperate drosera ALL without the recommended stratification. D. Binata, D. Filiformis, D. Intermedia, and D. Rotundifolia. I guess it may be random luck, but so far i have skipped stratifying the seeds and i have had crazy germination success. I just sowed s bunch last week and theyve already started too. It may be luck of the draw, but its worked for me.
By afh928
I personally don't consider D. Binata a tropical, it will go dormant right alongside the rest of 'em if it wants too. I'm pretty sure it's basically a temperate that can behave like a tropical if treated like one.
By hackerberry
And back to the original post, I would recommend the old fashioned cold startification [fridge] for at least 6 weeks.

hb
By afh928
I gotta say man, i have had enough success that i would call it MUCH more than a fluke, but do whatever ya want!
By afh928
Good idea man, that way you figure out what works best for you! Good luck!

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!