FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I still grow FTS Kilauea and there seems to be interest in the plant. But I've been growing it side by side with FTS Flaming Lips for the last few years and they look very similar but FTS Flaming Lips is superior in every way (size, color, vigor, etc.), so I haven't propagated FTS Kilauea to this point.
By SundewWolf
I compared Fts flaming lips and kilaeua and for whatever reason i still like kilaeua. I think I might order flaming lips too, but I don't think it would satisfy my mysterious want for the kilaeua. Do you think I could order a small division from you eventually? Or do you know if Steve D has any propagations of kilauea? I really like the way it looks.
By Matt
SundewWolf wrote:I compared Fts flaming lips and kilaeua and for whatever reason i still like kilaeua.
By "compared" them, what exactly do you mean? If you're just looking at a couple of photos, that's really insufficient information from which to draw any sort of conclusion.

I have grown both of these plants at adult size for 4+ years now and I cannot tell them apart the majority of the season. Here is a photo of them side by side right now (photo taken February 4, 2014) :

I could take photos of them side by side all season and they would look almost identical all year. Maybe I will do that just to lay this to rest.
By sbrooks
SundewWolf wrote: I compared Fts flaming lips and kilaeua and for whatever reason i still like kilaeua.
It's the cool name! After all, it's the Volcano God. Something tells me if it was named Wally or Dingley, the interest would be a bit lower.

Personally, I'm holding out for some Deep Red Gorilla. Who wouldn't want one of those tearing through an insect village, smashing up little insect cars and buses, squaring off in the ultimate battle showdown against, "KILAEUA"!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned if I had to battle a foe named, "Flaming Lips". :roll:
By Starchy
SundewWolf wrote:I compared Fts flaming lips and kilaeua and for whatever reason i still like kilaeua. I think I might order flaming lips too, but I don't think it would satisfy my mysterious want for the kilaeua. Do you think I could order a small division from you eventually? Or do you know if Steve D has any propagations of kilauea? I really like the way it looks.
I believe Steve will be offering Kilauea very soon at FTR under the name 'SD Phoenix' but I agree with Matt, they are basically the same plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
By Matt
sbrooks wrote:It's the cool name! After all, it's the Volcano God. Something tells me if it was named Wally or Dingley, the interest would be a bit lower.
Hah, probably right! But is Kilauea really that cool of a name? Personally, I never really liked it much. I guess I prefer more descriptive names that indicate something about the actual plant than just some random name chosen from a list of volcanoes.
sbrooks wrote:Personally, I'm holding out for some Deep Red Gorilla.
It's a very nice plant, and we should have a few to offer for sale this year.
sbrooks wrote:Personally, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned if I had to battle a foe named, "Flaming Lips".
:lol: I suppose that's true!
By Matt
SundewWolf wrote:Hmm.. I guess your right. From what I saw it seemed like kilauea had yellower/more triangular teeth and a darker trap, But i guess they do look very similar after seeing your recent photos.
Flytraps vary a lot in appearance depending on the time of the year. And sometimes even genetically identical plants can look quite different at the same time of year. For this reason it's hard to really determine what a plant looks like from a single photo. A photo might show what a given plant can look like at one point during the year, but that doesn't mean that the plant will look like that all year or even at all during the season. It's better to go on a clear and thorough description from the grower than a couple of photos.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!