FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By ironjaws
Hey everyone :D , a couple months ago, I think around Halloween, I took 2 leaf pullings from a typical capensis I have, cut them in half and placed them in water; the container was a 'sauce to go' container from a restaurant with a lid, distilled water(just enough to cover the leaves) and of course the leaves. Two days later, I took two more pullings from the same capensis(typical) and put them in the exact same setup only with LFSM instead of only water(it had enough distilled water to keep the LFSM wet). They were both placed in the exact same spot under a light(6500k 40w CFL).

The pullings in the LFSM were doing so much better even though the ones in water had a two day headstart, so I put all of them in with the LFSM pullings.

Here's what they look like today:
wholemessapullings.jpg
wholemessapullings.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
How many strikes do you guys see? ;)

It was a spur of the moment experiment; I now know that for me drosera pullings do much much better in LFSM. :D. I wonder if it would be the same with flytraps...
ironjaws liked this
By cjpflaumer
ironjaws wrote:I now know that for me drosera pullings do much much better in LFSM. :D. I wonder if it would be the same with flytraps...
I had similar results with fly traps. Except I did about 4 separate leaves in water, and about 4 leaves (still stuck together though with a small bit of rhizome, but no roots) and the leaves I did in peat/silica/perlite have done WAY better. Here that one is 1-2. weeks back or so: Image Approximately 2 and a half months of growth. You should try it!
cjpflaumer liked this
By ironjaws
cjpflaumer-
That's a great looking plant! I will definitely try that with one of my flytraps!
SkyClan Cat wrote:I haven't tried water propagation for my flytraps, but I do have a very prolific flower stalk in LFS right now!
I know!! I saw it in another post and though,"mother%$@#, lookie that!". I'm not sure if I posted a response but there you go, great job!
By cjpflaumer
Thanks! I believe I have at least 5 growth points in there. Yours look good as well! It's really fun and rewarding. I noticed you started seeds just before I did which also has been very fun to watch.
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!