FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Vern
I have never heard of flytrap extract and I don't think you should be making extract from protected species.

I can only imagine beautiful flytraps being viciously pulled out of their pots, dumped in water, packed and shipped only be crushed and blended for the little bit of liquid they have in them. Oh the inhumanity!
By danielfivetoes
Don't get me started. This is where many of the poached plants here in NC end up. Into what is nothing but snake oil. The company say that their plants are "wild sourced" and they claim no responsibility for the loss of plants in their natural habitat. 2014 will find me working hard with a state senator to increase the penalties for the poaching of VFT. Right now the fines are nominal and when you consider what say 1500 VFT can fetch it is merely a cost of doing business.
Frustratingly it is common knowledge who is the middleman that buys the poached traps in our area. But because of the lax laws buying them from a poacher is pretty much legal. All the poacher needs to say it that he had landowners permission to harvest (and a $75 state licence). The theft at the Rehder garden last year was different that was a property crime and would result in serious jail time. But we never found out who the poachers were. Here is Herb Pham contact information. Ironically they are just over the mountain from the FTS so I guess there is a ying and yang going on. One place works so hard to save and promote VFT and the other grinds them up.
I would suggest all interested in stopping poach to email them and request they take this product off the market.
Information: 541-846-6262

Orders: 800-348-4372

Fax: 800-545-7392

E-mail: info@herb-pharm.com

Mailing Address:
HERB PHARM
P.O. Box 116
Williams, Oregon 97544
U.S.A.
danielfivetoes liked this
By Vern
A load of snake oil "claimed" cures, but I did some research online and it not proven to help much in any of the items that they list such as cancer. And the Cancer society of America have a page that deems it ineffective with no solid or verified results. (American cancer society)

They're charging about $22 for a bottle. I could go out and buy about 5 typical from Lowes with that money or buy something special from the flytrap store. Or an awesome lunch at Red Lobster and feel very much happy and 'cured'.

I'm sorry that I'm not more informed, Daniel, but who would be the middle man?
By xr280xr
Looks like bottled B.S. to me. Eat a salad instead. Top it with some bugs if you want to be absolutely sure you get the same contents.
By Matt
danielfivetoes wrote:Ironically they are just over the mountain from the FTS so I guess there is a ying and yang going on. One place works so hard to save and promote VFT and the other grinds them up.
They actually contacted us to purchase some flytraps! I simply couldn't, in good conscious, sell flytraps to someone knowing that they intended to grind them up and use them for a tincture without any real purpose. If it were actually able to save lives, I might consider growing some plants out just for that purpose, though I still don't know if I could send them off to be slaughtered. Our flytraps are like our friends and family to us. It would be akin to sending the family dog or cat off to be eaten!
Matt liked this
By Vern
Matt wrote:
danielfivetoes wrote:Ironically they are just over the mountain from the FTS so I guess there is a ying and yang going on. One place works so hard to save and promote VFT and the other grinds them up.
They actually contacted us to purchase some flytraps! I simply couldn't, in good conscious, sell flytraps to someone knowing that they intended to grind them up and use them for a tincture without any real purpose. If it were actually able to save lives, I might consider growing some plants out just for that purpose, though I still don't know if I could send them off to be slaughtered. Our flytraps are like our friends and family to us. It would be akin to sending the family dog or cat off to be eaten!
Wow, they contacted you? That's disgusting. After joining this community I feel like everyone treats their plants like family, the amount of information that everyone shares is amazing, all to enjoy the hobby and not only that but to spread information, awareness and propagate. I had shared the link the link on my facebook and someone said that it wasn't a big deal since there were tens of thousands of people cultivating the species and the people in that company probably didn't touch the wild ones and only the wild ones were in danger.

Sure cultivating has probably lessened some poaching but poaching is still a big deal. Cultivating the flytraps also spreads education and awareness to protect them not grind them up for some cocktail that probably does nothing. You'd probably get more out of eating ants on your salad than 3 drops from that bottle.
By Goodkoalie
Matt wrote:
At least thy contacted to buy from you and not directly dig them up from the wild. alaways think positive :D
By Matt
Goodkoalie wrote:At least thy contacted to buy from you and not directly dig them up from the wild. alaways think positive
That's true and a good point. Maybe if I tissue cultured a bunch of flytraps for them to fill their need, they wouldn't have to harvest/poach wild flytraps to make their juice. I wonder how many they actually need per year?
By Vern
One could only assume, how much juice does one adult have, anyway?

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!