FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By akinkysnorlax
Hey everyone. I was looking to give my carnivorous plants a dose of fertilizer but I was wondering what dosage I should use without damaging my plants. I know Fertilizer is a no-no in carnivorous plants, but I feel like I am experienced enough grower to give it an attempt. My plant collection includes many venus flytraps, drosera capensis, pinguiculas and a single sarracenia purpurea venosa. They are under T5 HO lamps and are grown indoors, which is why I am even considering fertilizing, because most of my plants should be dormant right now but I purchased a new better brighter light and the plants now think it is spring time. They are flowering and showing other spring characteristics.

Here are my plants. They are all grown in self watering pots.

Here is my watering tool. It is a 12 ounce spray bottle that I use to water the plants. I usually just take off the nozzle and water my plants through the water holes in my pots. Ocassionally I will spray my plants though.

So my questions are:
1.) What measurement of MaxSea Fertilizer should I put into my 12 ounce spray bottle without burning or harming my plants?
2.) Should I spray mist my plants with the mixture or fill the bottom of the pot?

Thanks in advance. Ask questions if you have any.
By Matt
akinkysnorlax wrote:1.) What measurement of MaxSea Fertilizer should I put into my 12 ounce spray bottle without burning or harming my plants?
If you just gently mist them a couple of times a month, it would be fine to use the fertilizer at full strength. If you want to go with a more frequent schedule, like once a week, you could use it at half strength. These are just suggestions that I'm fairly certainly would be safe. You could almost certainly do it more vigorously and they would be fine as well.
akinkysnorlax wrote:2.) Should I spray mist my plants with the mixture or fill the bottom of the pot?
For flytraps and Drosera, they seem to respond better to misting. But the problem is that the top of the soil will grow algae and moss, so some cleaning will likely be required. For Sarracenia, you can pour on full strength fertilizer every couple of weeks and they seem to respond well to it.
Matt liked this
By akinkysnorlax
Alright so I misted the plants with a PINCH of Maxsea into my 10 ounce spray bottle. It was about 1/3 of a teaspoon. I sprayed the plants and now I am starting to notice that the tentacles on the drosera are curling inward. Is this a sign I used too much?

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!