FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
I cannot find a list with drosera species that have their roots between 1 and 2 inches in length. I will post today (it is 12:56 AM and i'm going to sleep) an image of the project i want to do (a drosera waterfall, which will be static or not).
By roarke
It is a electric motor (aquarium pump 1.5 W) driven water fall that put the water in motion and move the glass ball above it. What drosera species have their roots between 1 and 2 inches in length when they reach maturity ? I want to put some drosera species in there. I cannot do a movie with my camera, so don't ask.
By Ras
yea I agree with tuna. your best bet would be just a hardy sundew of smaller stature. natalensis and spatulata will pretty much grow anywhere. you could always trim the roots if they flowed over the boundaries

another idea would be to try some pygmy gammae
doubt they would mind the small space as long as it stayed wet which is the biggest issue when using a small potting space, it dries out faster but you shouldnt have to worry about that in a waterfall lol
the roots are like tiny hairs aswell, so they can fit an enormous amount of root-surface area in a small spot. basically in comparison you can only fit so many large clunky roots in a small space where as small hairlike roots can bob and weave through each other until there is almost nothing left in the media but roots
By Ras
well in my experience alot of plants including non cps grow their roots to fit their media space, some try to break through w.e barrier is keeping them from growing like when u see spots in the sidewalk that have been cracked by grass/tree roots . I don't expect a pygmy to be cracking anything so i really wouldnt worry about it too much just go with trial and error
and even if the roots overflowed I think it would look nice, natural like vines.
as long as the water stayed flowing the roots would probably just follow the waterway
Ras liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!