FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy159
Which cultivar is the most vigorous grower? My guess would be either FTS Maroon Monster or Big Vigorous...
By parker679
Hmmm.....good question.

Just based on trap production and rate of division you can't beat a death cube typical. I went from 2 to around 30 plants in a couple years.

Maroon Monster is certainly a good grower but in my experience it's no different than any other good grower like UK sawtooth, crimson sawtooth, low giant, B52, etc.

I hear Wally is pretty vigorous but I haven't grown mine long enough to compare it to the others. Same thing with "Vigorous", supposed to be good but I haven't had it long enough.

But I still can't imagine they will beat out the death cube plants. It makes sense after all, the reason that specific clone(s) was chosen to be mass produced is because of how vigorous and hardy it is.
parker679 liked this
By Matt
It may depend somewhat on climate, care technique, choice of potting medium and other things, but in our experience, DC XL and Jaws are two of the most vigorous and fast growing clones. G16 is another winner.

And by vigorous, I don't mean dividing a lot, which Big Mouth and Wally tend to do. I'm more referring to their ability to thrive in a wide range of conditions and to grow to a large size quickly.
Matt liked this
By pieguy159
Thank's parker and Matt!
parker679 wrote:Hmmm.....good question.

Just based on trap production and rate of division you can't beat a death cube typical. I went from 2 to around 30 plants in a couple years.

Maroon Monster is certainly a good grower but in my experience it's no different than any other good grower like UK sawtooth, crimson sawtooth, low giant, B52, etc.

I hear Wally is pretty vigorous but I haven't grown mine long enough to compare it to the others. Same thing with "Vigorous", supposed to be good but I haven't had it long enough.

But I still can't imagine they will beat out the death cube plants. It makes sense after all, the reason that specific clone(s) was chosen to be mass produced is because of how vigorous and hardy it is.
Yeah, I have a death cylinder typical that started growing like there was no tomorrow as soon as I potted it. :)

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!