FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wesley8401
Hi guys!
I am shinning new at this forum same as i am in growing carnivores :)
I live in Belgium and since beginning of this month i putted them in a cooler place then they were before,this morning a couple of mins ago to be exact i tried giving them a small spider.
As they closed before they are not closing anymore at all can this be an indicator for dormancy?
The plants look still good and from one of them there is one leaf slowly turning brown as for the rest i would say they still are nicely green and red inside.
I am new to this and have read about it for a while so atleast i took off with a good start.
For some reason i cant upload files because to big as soon as figured out i will make the size of it smaller.
Thank u very much
greetings!:)
1383733656NIMG_2138.gif.jpg
1383733656NIMG_2138.gif.jpg (136.81 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
By cyph3r_gfy
Your newest 4 growth points do not appear to be dormant growth. That newest tiny one may be. It is common to lose summer growth during dormancy. However, it could be stress related due to the recent move and change in growing conditions. This could also be the reason why the traps would not react.

My plants will feed year round... IF, and a big IF, they can catch food due to the slower reaction to prey. Keep an eye on your newest growth.... If it grows low to the ground and has significantly smaller traps, it is going dormant.
By Matt
Wesley8401 wrote:As they closed before they are not closing anymore at all can this be an indicator for dormancy?
No, traps still function during dormancy. In your case, the traps that are no longer working are just old traps that have run their course and are at the end of their lifespan. Soon after the trap stops working, the leaf usually turns yellow then brown and wilts.

Your plant appears to be lacking sufficient light to be at its healthiest, judging by the new growth. If possible, try moving it somewhere that gets more and stronger light.

Oh, and welcome to FlytrapCare!
By Wesley8401
thank u very much8 will have to find a way to light them better as they are now on a Northeastern window,did this because i have no other options (cant get it any cooler in the livingroom)and i dont want them to die from growing all year long.Will have to figure out something,maybe outside would be an idea?
We still get 14degrees here at this point,wich is not normal at this time of the year but will give it a go and get them in some closed tray for plants.
Thx for the welcome,a lot of usefull info here so i will enjoy!
By cyph3r_gfy
My sheltered growing location is 60ish degrees in the day, with a slight drop in temperature in the evening. They all go dormant just fine and get a growth explosion in the spring. Shorter days play the largest factor in signalling dormancy.

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!