FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By johnLiu2468
Can anyone recommend me a fluorescent clamp light that can grow only a few vfts, preferably off the internet? :D
I dont know anything about light fixtures such as which bulb will fit into which fixtures..
I understand that at least 40w of flourescent light will be necessary to grow these plants
By swat007j
i heard 20+watts does the job as well well i hope you find what your looking for but i hear LED are much better.
By johnLiu2468
Hmm those led panels are too pricey for a student xD
is there a cheaper alternative besides a shop light since it takes up too much room?
By jht-union
If you go to petsmart, there are lights that are use for aquariums for plants under water. Those are good for terrestrial plants as well. Usually they are somewhere in the $50-80 range. :)
You won't find cheap lights for plants, and you also don't want the energy to go up and the bill higher. That's another thing to look at ;). :)

Good luck!
By Maiden
The best light in the world is Sunblaster (14x Winner hightimes magazine)

I grow all my plants under this brand, my seedlings, everything.
Its so 'sun like', you can get tan if you stay under for too long.

My plants reward me with amazing results.

You can have a 24w T5 with crystal nano reflector for under 30$.
And it doesnt cost more than a normal bulb on your electricity bill.

Sunblasterlighting.com :-)
By sbrooks
Maiden, I was just on Sunblaster's website, trying to find what you were talking about for $30. They have one of those aggravating websites that tell you all about their products, how great they are, and how you need them. They just forgot to include prices, or a way to actually order. Seriously, their website does not appear to actually include a way to purchase the product (maybe the HighTimes angle is a factor in that aspect!)
JohnLiu, what I have been using is a mixture of 4 ft. fixtures, and CFLs. For the CFLs, I purchase: a standard electrical extension cord, a plugin socket from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Whit ... mu_3hCaiRU ,
Home Depot also has a dual socket that screws into the first light socket http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-660- ... mvD9BCaiRU
For some reason, neither the HD nor Lowes in my area carry 6500K CFLs that are of the 100 watt equivalent. I have to go to WalMart and purchase them in three-packs. I can't find the link on Walmart's site: They are in a blue box made by GE, and they say Daylight Bulbs on the front.
With these items, you can make a grow setup as small or large as you want.
By Maiden
Top right you have the contact section, you even have a 1800 number to reach them.
By sbrooks
Maiden wrote:Top right you have the contact section, you even have a 1800 number to reach them.
So, just to find out pricing, you have to contact them and get stuck in the middle of a sales pitch. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Personally, I will never purchase from anywhere (not even a yard sale) if they're too ignorant to let you know prices without having to get into a lenghthy discussion. Sorry, but that type of sales approach makes me want to break stuff. :x :evil: :x
By sbrooks
Funny I just noticed that JohnLiu asked the question on this thread in 2011. Something tells me that he got his lighting situation figured out by now. :oops:
By stubbingsj
sbrooks wrote:Funny I just noticed that JohnLiu asked the question on this thread in 2011. Something tells me that he got his lighting situation figured out by now. :oops:
:lol: That is embarrassing... :oops:
Maiden wrote:Image
I hope Maiden is still growing, because those plants are AMAZING!!! :shock: :shock:
By Maiden
Yeah i didnt notice the date LoL
Its my bad sowwy for that.

And yes, i still grow heli :-) thanks a lot for the compliment :)
By bigbowlowrong
Those of you in major cities looking for grow lights just need to go to any hydroponics store. The obvious stoner behind the counter will be more than happy to sell you a gigantic CFL and ballast for your *wink* "carnivorous plants" *wink*.

If you don't live in a major city, just go to any old grocery/hardware store and find the coolest, brightest CFL they have.
bigbowlowrong liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!