FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tranminh
Hi guy,
I will get another flytrap soon and how to I can keep it survire after shipping. Ferpect potting medium, Light, Humidify, ... for VFT. And another question is does flytrap rot if it get a lot of water.
By dionaea muscipula
well there r 3 rules on growing a healthy happy vft rule#1 only use distilled , rain or reverse osmosis water #2 lots of light about 10 hrs or more of direct sunlight and the most important rule #3 never let the soil dry out completely oh and about the rotting thing yes the vfts roots can rot if u see standing water on the soil bad and if u push on the soil no water should come out also the medium should by 50%peat moss and 50%perlite
By Aging_Bourbon
well, there are like DM said the Big 3 Soil, Sun and Water

1). Soil shouldn't have any source of nutrients use Peat Moss an Perlite, but there are other mixes as well that you can use but if it provides excellent aeroration (i think thats how you spell it) an drainage you should be good as for me i've just used "Standard" throughout my whole time of growing
Do not use fertilizer not unless you know how to use it an NO MIRACLE GROW Products

2). Sunlight it should be direct sunlight 6+ hours.. if your Flytrap is getting less that that i could get weak an sick like but if you can use sunlight use 40 Watt Fluorescent tubes to supplement them for the sunlight about 13-14 hours.

3).Pure water either RO, Distilled or Rain water.. never use Tap Water it tends to cause too many problems an are known to have alot of minerals in it.. so use ONLY RO Distilled or Rain water..

As for Humidity it doesn't really matter. i live in New Mexico where it rarely goes up to 15% an they grow great! :D hope this information helps ;)

Allen,
By Siannuro
allenc666 wrote:well, there are like DM said the Big 3 Soil, Sun and Water
As for Humidity it doesn't really matter. i live in New Mexico where it rarely goes up to 15% an they grow great! :D hope this information helps ;)
Allen,
Hey Allen, how do you deal with the temperature though? (sorry I'm deviating here :? ) I'm having trouble with the temperature in Arizona it's in the hundreds and even when I put them in the shade the pots get pretty darn hot. How do you manage?

~Siannuro
By Aging_Bourbon
Siannuro,

well im not really sure how my plants are capable of surviving the heat but they do.. i just push them to the limits an i guess they adapted.. but they love it as long as it gets nice an cool at night to compensate for the heat.. the only problem i get is with dirt when it get's windy.. that the only time i bring them inside.. but other than that i keep them out.. even during the winter..

allen,
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!