FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Milhaus
Hi,
please could you share your favorite sterilization protocol for Dionaea flower stalk ? Anyone have success with NaDCC ?

Milos
By Matt
Flower stalks are easy. Wash under warm running water with soap. Quick dip in 70% alcohol, 3 to 5 minutes in H2O2 and then 6 to 15 minutes (time depends on size of stalk) in 10% bleach. Contamination rate should be near zero if the plants are grown in a greenhouse setting or indoors.

I've tried NaDCC, but with mixed results so I don't regularly use it. For me it is an unnecessary process since I have excellent results with bleach.
Matt liked this
By Milhaus
Thanks Matt,
i will try it. I have tried only 10% bleach alone before for upto 20minutes, but i have found everything was contaminated. I have tried then 20% bleach for 10 minutes and everything was clean and green for one month. Then all explants start to die without any signs of regeneration ( 1/3MS + 1mg/l kinetin ).
By snapperhead51
I mite be a good idea , what Matt briefed over, take your plant and cover it when new growth is happening before you attempt to take any ex-plants of any kind min or 2 months before hand, only bottom water and keep covered , to lessen any water, dust and alike settling on the plant making it hard to clean , cleaner the new growth is easier it is to sterilize and when the flower stalk is starting it will be much better to work with
J
By coline
With Matt's protocol you get either 100% or going to 80% sterilization, then the flower stalk some tend to die and some to grow, with my experience with 7 pieces about 2cm I got 2 or maybe 3 to regenerate like 100 plants in total, they took kind of almost 3 months to do so, and slowly the others died.
Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!