FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By buakawswagyo
Do any of you guys fill your purps or heli's with water? I'm growing my purps in a window and my helis in a terrarium..
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! This is my first year growing cp's
-thanks
By parker679
Yes and no. My heli is inside and still quite small so it always looks empty though I do try to fill it.

My purps are all outside so they usually always have liquid in them. I don't go out of the way to fill them but if I happen to be top watering them I will fill them all up.

It's not a bad practice to make sure there is always some amount of water in them. If they're indoors I probably wouldn't fill them all the way though, maybe half full give or take.
By Cory
I mist my heli's daily. Usually filling their pitchers.
The water will gradually seek its own level as the leaf will let the water out as need be.
I have never done this with purps but I don't think I would hurt.
Last edited by Cory on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By buakawswagyo
For real? That's great news thanks for repling so fast guys, I got one heli hybrid mature pitchers and they have been cracking and shriveling up and I thought maybe to add water to them iv just been misting but ill deff go hard on the misting on that particular one and as far as the purps there as healthy as can be but I put a moth in one an I died but its just laying there for months not getting digested. And this is probably obvious but you guys are using distilled water for this right?
By buakawswagyo
Very interesting Superthrive solution.. I bet that would be good in my circumstance, as I am also fighting against shock from shipping, but idk you seem like an expert! I'm still learning. These tips are anxiety killers for sure.
By buakawswagyo
Oh I did, believe me your the man Cory. You are very kind to be so helpful iv already filled up all my helis lol it's only been like 30 min lol if my helis thrive after this it's only because of your help.
By Cory
Let me know how it's going from time to time and don't make sudden condition changes. By the time you see an unhappy heli the damage is worse than it looks. They grow slow and also die slow.
Don't be shocked if it takes a bit to get better.
I have lost some and saved some. It's not a guarantee. They are not exactly the easiest to grow.
By buakawswagyo
Good to know I already have them in a constant controlled setting and today because of your tips I filled the pitchers and put a plastic sandwich bag over them I'm not going anywhere if I have one gift it's the gift of patients lol, I hope you don't mind but can I send you a pic through pm so you can better access my plants health?
By sss
I don't usually fill my purps with water, sometimes they completely dry up inside. I will say however their success rate at trapping critters when they don't have water is lower, probably caused by the water making their feet slippery.
By coline
I do fill heli pitchers, normally either with water or the remaining soup of bloodworms with water left over from feeding plants, but sarracenia other than purpurea are not good to fill up, even so, they won't mind filling at some time only once.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!