FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Zombie_walker
Hey guys I ordered 2 "Lake Badgerup" Drosera about 5 days ago and they just shipped yesterday. I don't have much experience with Drosera and these plants are supposed to be near flowering, my question is are sundew seeds easy to grow? I've been hoping to grow some from seeds ^-^ I could also use some advice on how to germinate them if I happen to get lucky
By fattytuna
Drosera "Lake Badgerup" (patens x occidentalis) is a pygmy drosera from Australia.

I'm not sure about this particular hybrid, but many species of Pygmy drosera are hard to cultivate from seed. According to sarracenia.com "pygmy Drosera flowers rarely produce seed, and the seeds that do develop are extremely difficult to germinate".
However, some other sources do say that D. "Lake badgerup" is self pollinating and will produce seed. Growsundews.com's Pygmy Drosera pagesays that "many varieties produce fertile seed" and "you can germinate them just like normal Drosera seeds (they don’t need cold-stratification)"

In any case, the usual propagation method for Pygmy Drosera is by gemmae. These are produced in late autumn in the center of the plant and are pretty much modified leaves that are capable of growing into mature plants extremely fast. You can just separate them and sow them like seeds.

It's worth reading the growsundews.com page as it explains it all.

Some other tips for the plant:
Pygmy drosera will often die if their roots are damaged, so when you are potting up the plant, make sure you're delicate with the roots.

The roots can grow very long, so its advisable to use a 4 inch+ tall pot.

Pygmy drosera prefer a sandier mix than most sundews. I use a 50:50 sand:peat mix.
fattytuna liked this
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!