FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By clintosaurus
I got a few questions that have to do with Venus Flytrap seeds.

1. What is the best humidity level for germination? My room is the most humid place in the house, averaging at 50% all year, sometimes more! (But then again, with winter approaching, our humidity always goes as high as 70%. Yikes!)
2. Do germinating seeds need light? Like absolutely NEED it? Or just when the poke through the seed? I have a small greenhouse like thing that until they germinate, could be in where it would be 24C at 90% humidity, but at best dim light due to condensation on the plastic lid, btw which allows me to control airflow to and from the interior.
3.Here in Saskatchewan, winter offers hardly any clear sky. 95% I swear is overcast, all day. However, we do get the occasional clear sky. Now, I'm not going to start seeds in the dead of winter, but come February, I plan on starting them, but that is still winter for us (-25, -15C, sometimes less). This means for light, the best option I have in the window in my room facing west. That window is the only one in the house with a windowsill and in summer can receive 2-3 hours direct light, the rest bright indirect. If I started them in say mid to late February, and they germinated say in say mid to late March, would that light be ok? In March, typically half way through, the sun starts to shine again. Would that windowsill suffice? (Sorry for the long rant on my climate lol).
4. How should a put them into dormancy? I'm thinking either the same windowsill, my shed or the refrigerator. The one I had in the garage grew mold, even though it was almost dry to the touch at times, and never came back in the spring, so that's out. Not sure how cold the shed gets, but imma find out! I also heard so long as the temperature doesn't get below -7C for extended periods, they will be fine, and that light frost wont hurt them, but what about seedlings? Can I skip dormancy just once? Also, can I used fungicide on them?
5. My last question. Can I use new Zealand sphagnum moss? Nothing else, just that for germinating the seeds.

I know its long but any advice is greatly appreciated as I am receiving seeds in the next two or three weeks. Thanks.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!