FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By ironjaws
My current grow list. Some of my multiples I'm willing to trade/sell(T/S). PM me if you'd like to see a pic of any one you're interested in :) . I've got several plants that are dividing! I'm going to wait until spring of 2015 to divide them.

Flytraps-
Typical x 16(T/S)
Dutch x 1
Crested Petiole x 1
Trichterfalle x 2
Megatraps x 2
Maroon Monster x 2
WIP Slim Snapper x 4
Big Mouth x 4(on the small side, getting bigger) (T/S)
B52 x 2
BZ Razorback x 7
FTS Typical x 3
Pot of FTS seed growns x 3(they are so teeny :) )
Mirror x 1
Schuppenstiel 1 x 16!(Thank you Matt and Leah!!!)
Paradisia x 3(pieguy452)
Justina Davis x 4(pieguy 452)
Coquillage x 1
A2 x 1

Sarracenia-
S. Purpurea x 2
Sarracenia x 4(these are from a dormant kit, when they start growing I'll post pics)
-sarracenia rubra(species or hybrid, 3 Dixie lace type sarracenias they are too young to tell right now)
S. leuco x alata x wherryii Citronelli

Drosera-
D. Capensis x 11(T/S)
D. Capensis seed grown x I have no idea how many...
D. Indica x 6(can't wait for flowers!)

Nepenthes-
Unknown hybrid x 2

Pinguicula-
P. Planifolia x 0
P.Gigantea x 1(second attempt, first one died)
P. Sethos x 1

I'm just going to post the pictures of the plants I have. The last 3 are going to be NEW acquisitions from Lowe's, look at the pictures and tell me if you can believe it!
Pikkie, my first and it's a typical.
Pikkie, my first and it's a typical.
8.21.13b.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
This one, Nikkie, is starting to look better, also a typical.
This one, Nikkie, is starting to look better, also a typical.
8.21.13a.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
This is lil' Dutch.
This is lil' Dutch.
8.21.13.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Sunny, the bug eating sundew!
Sunny, the bug eating sundew!
1376835440752.jpg (41.67 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Okay, now the last 3, remember that I got all of them from Lowe's this morning, not even one hour ago.
This appears to be a typical... with the biggest trap at 1"!
This appears to be a typical... with the biggest trap at 1"!
typical.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Sarracenia purpurea, can anyone confirm this?
Sarracenia purpurea, can anyone confirm this?
sarracenia purpurea.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Finally, I was incredibly shocked to see this one.
At Lowe's, can you believe it?!
At Lowe's, can you believe it?!
mirrflytrap3.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
There they are. Tell me what you guys think.
Last edited by ironjaws on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:51 am, edited 14 times in total.
ironjaws liked this
By ironjaws
Oh, here's the cube that the purpurea came in, just want to be sure that the plant actually is a sarracenia purpurea.
package.jpg
package.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
By akinkysnorlax
Great starter plants you got there! You wont believe the size your plants can get after saving them from lowes. I saved a purpurea from lowes in december for $1 and it was similar in size as yours. Now it has 11 pitchers and is deep red that is about 7 inches across!
By ironjaws
Holy moly! No way, man! Wow, I am really looking forward to seeing how my baby purp grows!

So you bought your purpurea in December? I know that purps need dormancy, how did you go about the dormancy with your purp? Did you leave it in the lfs moss or transplant it to peat/perlite? Also, how wet do purps like the soil, are they like sundews? I apologize for all the questions, I'm really new to sarracenias :oops:.
By ironjaws
Oh, nice. Surprising what you find at hardware stores sometimes, huh? Oh, and on the topic of surprises, has anyone else ever found a flytrap other than a typical at any hardware store?
By Mike_M
Great plants, is that a Mirror VFT? :o you really scored on those :)
By jwbates26
Whenever you buy flytraps or any plant for that matter and it doesn't have a lable, its just best practice to call it a typical. You wouldn't want to call something a registered name and spread those genetics around and confuse the real plant with it. This is a common problem.

That is a really cool mutation/deformity. Does every leaf or trap have that or is it just that one? I'm curious if that is a stable trait.
By Kevonicus
ironjaws wrote: Finally, I was incredibly shocked to see this one. Can anyone guess what it is?
mirrflytrap3.jpg
There they are. Tell me what you guys think.
Ultimate score! that looks even cooler then the Mirror.
By Kevonicus
any idea if "Lowes" flytraps are seed grown? I have a monster of a typical I bought from there
By ironjaws
jwbates26 wrote:Whenever you buy flytraps or any plant for that matter and it doesn't have a lable, its just best practice to call it a typical. You wouldn't want to call something a registered name and spread those genetics around and confuse the real plant with it. This is a common problem.

That is a really cool mutation/deformity. Does every leaf or trap have that or is it just that one? I'm curious if that is a stable trait.
Yeah, you are absolutely right. If you look at my signature, I have it down as a typical(Mirror Mimic). And the plant only had, I think, three leaves with traps and one baby trap that all had mirror on them. As soon as this baby gets settled, hopefully before dormancy, and shoots up new traps I'll definitely put pictures up. ;) .
Kevonicus wrote:any idea if "Lowes" flytraps are seed grown? I have a monster of a typical I bought from there
You know, I looked up the vendor a few months ago, and I believe that all their plants are seed grown. I'm not entirely sure, so I'll have to look it up again.
By ironjaws
I was out picking up some pots and found a 4 inch high, maybe 6 inch wide pot with one sarracenia, one flytrap, and three drosera capensis. I picked it up and saw that the pitchers were browning and starting to dry up, the sundews were 'ok', and the flytrap looked like crap. I asked the cute lady behind the cash box ;) if they could knock down the price because of the browning and drying, I got it for 20% off, so I bought it :) .

I transplanted these babies and there were actually four sundews ;) ! I put the sundews in the same trash bin as the pitcher, seeing as how their water requirements are similar and sundews grow like weeds( I hear).
asarranddews.jpg
asarranddews.jpg (47.09 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
I potted the flytrap separately.
aflytrapcamewsarranddews.jpg
aflytrapcamewsarranddews.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
I'm going to leave this one alone until the pot gets full 8-) .
By carnivoregirl2356
got some good plants dude I have the same amount of plant lol I have had mine for a few month I have doing this for about a year though :lol:
By ironjaws
carnivoregirl2356 wrote:got some good plants dude I have the same amount of plant lol I have had mine for a few month I have doing this for about a year though :lol:
Thanks! It's fun isn't? I'm only several months in, since June this year. :D

So, I'm going to actually list the plants I currently grow, as I have recent acquisitions, which will be noted with a *. Here goes:

Dionaea- with the first two, these were hardware store rescues and thus unlabeled.

Typicalx12
Dutchx1
Big Mouthx4
Maroon Monsterx2
WIP Slim Snapperx2
Megatrapsx1
Trichterfallex2*
Crested Petiolesx1*

Drosera-
Capensisx1
Capensis(don't know if they're 'red capensis', they had no label)x5

Sarracenia-
Purpureax1
Purpurea(unlabeled)x1

That's it... for now ;) .
Last edited by ironjaws on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!